• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxiety horrible

LenaD

LenaD

Went to a new dentist( old one retired) I’ve had sensitivity between two teeth for a while now but chalked it up to a sensitive spot because it started around when I got a deep filling on near it. Well it’s a cavity. I’ve let it go for about 2 years not even knowing it. It never showed on my old X-rays but shows it’s in the dentin but not near the root but the dr warned X-rays are only two dimensional and things can pop up but he says he thinks it’s a filling. But it doesn’t hurt or throb but I can feel it if that makes sense like I flossed too hard kind of feeling. It’s freaking me out that it’s a root canal. When you have a cavity in the dentin can you feel it? It’s sentive to cold and that’s it for sensitivity.

In other words does cavity pain or feeling the cavity mean root canal?

Hi Lena, yes, you can get sensitivity to cold with a cavity, and this sensitivity doesn't mean that root canal treatment is needed.

Your dentist, who has seen the x-rays and your tooth, is in the best position to judge what is likely to happen, so if he thinks it's a filling, then it's most likely going to be a filling. I suppose he just can't totally rule out the possibility that the cavity is deeper than anticipated and might have affected the pulp.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you :thumbsup: - let us know how you got on!

Thank you for the reply I’m scaring myself researching on the internet. It’s was saying if you feel anything it’s too late so I was freaking out about feeling it. But also read that even a small cavity can cause pain. I’m really hoping that it was slow progressing and it’s a simple filling. I’m usually very over this but I’m wondering why it wouldn’t show on my past X-rays with being sensitive.

I will definitely update I go on Monday. I wish it was before the weekend because it will be hard not to focus on it. Before the appointment it was just kind of annoying now I’m so in tune with it any feeling I have there I’m zeroed in.

Updating for others going through the same thing. No root canal two medium fillings.

Back