• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxiety, super nervous about new dentist

L

lizlizliz

Hello,

I’ve been traumatized by dentists before and now I’m my mid 30’s I’m suffering the consequences of not going in a couple of years. I used to go to our family dentist and he is such a good man but my insurance changed and he doesn’t accept my insurance. So I have to go to another dentist and I’m having anxiety about that. I don’t know what to expect.
I have a couple of broken molars and right now I’m going thru pain of one of them. Kept me up all night last night, didn’t go to work today because I knew I just couldn’t function. As some of you may know the pain is horrible. I have 2 kids and I got to say that the pain is ALOT worse than giving birth. I told myself I have to go I couldn’t go thru another painful night and even before that I’ve been having pain since thanksgiving. I said to myself enough is enough I have to go. So I booked an appointment for this Saturday morning (with the new dentist) and I am so nervous yet somewhat excited because I can’t wait for this pain to go away I’ve been dealing with tooth pain for lots of years and I want to start fixing every single one.

Any words of encouragement will help!

Thanks!

Lizlizliz,

First of really great job for making this appt despite being scared to try someone new. Its hard to do when when pain motivates or forces our hand. It seems you had a good experience your family dentist and sorry you couldn't see him still. Is there a specific reason you chose this new one? I hope he is very kind and can connect w you in a good way and help relieve your dental issues and anxiety! Let us know how it goes! Hope you can hang in there till then!

I hope your new dentist is caring and compassionate. Good job on making the appointment! You will feel better without the dental pain.

Thank you so much! It’s gettinf closer and I can’t help but to feel more nervous but hearing your words of encouragement means a lot. Thank you!

Lizlizliz,

First of really great job for making this appt despite being scared to try someone new. Its hard to do when when pain motivates or forces our hand. It seems you had a good experience your family dentist and sorry you couldn't see him still. Is there a specific reason you chose this new one? I hope he is very kind and can connect w you in a good way and help relieve your dental issues and anxiety! Let us know how it goes! Hope you can hang in there till then!
Lizlizliz,

Well this new dentist is for me, he is the dentist my husband goes to. But you see my husband has no fear he tells me he is a good dentist but easy for him to say he has no fear and truly he thinks having this fear makes no sense. I looked into his yelp and other reviews and he had good reviews so im hoping and praying he is a great one. Thank you thank you for your well wishes

HOw are you feeling about your appt tomorrow now Liz?

Dear Lizlizliz,

changing dentists is a hard one. My dentist will retire in about 20 years and I am already worrying. If I had to change a practice now I would have a very hard time to do so. I believe it is not only about dental anxiety, but the lack of familiarity (new practice, new faces, getting to know each other) as well and the fact that you have pain doesn't make it easier either.

Being nervous is a good thing. It means you are about to do something courageous and something that's important to you. Most people are nervous sometimes, it's just different things that cause it. Even dentists are nervous sometimes.

I can only encourage you to ask a lot of questions abut anything that worries you and about anything you would like to know. If you wish to know what to expect, just ask them. If there is anything that worries you in particular, let your dentist know and if there is anything that you know would make things easier for you, let him know as well. He should be happy to do everything possible to make you feel comfortable.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you to feel as much at ease as somehow possible and for your new dentist to be able to gain your trust. Let us know how your visit went.

Back