• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Super high anxiety, can anyone offer any reassurance, please?

I think I have different issues at play which are all contributing - the atypical facial pain, plus I have had a cold/sinus infection pretty much constantly since mid-December. It is so hard not to worry though.

My dentist told me about the “shortened dental arch” concept, which I think possibly originated in Germany. It suggests that a person needs only 20 teeth to function with a decent dentition. I have gaps on both sides at the bottom back, plus one upper wisdom tooth missing. I had pretty much forgotten about the four that were taken out when I was 11, because I feel like I never really had them - now I wish I did! I get so cross and despondent about all of this, because I have always taken care of my teeth, never, ever missed a checkup or not had treatment if I needed it, and my teeth actually look good to the point people comment on how white and straight they are. Just a pity half of them are missing.

I understand about that also. I have always taken care of my teerh as well. After having braces and so much oral surgery on my teeth as a kid, I made sure to keep them clean. I never even had a cavity until I was in my 20's. I have always had dentists, and even my recent oral surgeon tell me I have impeccable oral hygiene. It is hard not to be upset that all this has happened now. It doesn't seem fair, but that's life.

I am through the roof with anxiety today. My focus is on the lower molar, which I am terrified is wobbly. I could have made it loose with clenching. There was definitely no gum disease in January, so logically I know it’s unlikely I have developed periodontal disease in the last six weeks or so.

Just updating to say all is fine. The dentist examined my teeth and gums, and did x-rays. She said the problem is that my upper teeth roots are well into my sinus cavity, and my sinuses are massively inflamed. I have had a cold non-stop since December. The lower molar has no mobility at all.

I felt a bit embarrassed, and then I started crying, like an idiot. The neuralgia in my face means any sensation is magnified a million times, and it is so hard to know what’s what. My dentist is so kind and patient, but she must feel like weeping when she sees my name in her day plan. I have never been scared of the dentist, but I am now so anxious of things going wrong.

Just updating to say all is fine. The dentist examined my teeth and gums, and did x-rays. She said the problem is that my upper teeth roots are well into my sinus cavity, and my sinuses are massively inflamed. I have had a cold non-stop since December. The lower molar has no mobility at all.

I felt a bit embarrassed, and then I started crying, like an idiot. The neuralgia in my face means any sensation is magnified a million times, and it is so hard to know what’s what. My dentist is so kind and patient, but she must feel like weeping when she sees my name in her day plan. I have never been scared of the dentist, but I am now so anxious of things going wrong.
Given your situation, I'm sure the dentist understands. She would know better than anyone else what neuralgia can do to you physically and mentally.

It will be fine Judy. I'll be praying for You.

Given your situation, I'm sure the dentist understands. She would know better than anyone else what neuralgia can do to you physically and mentally.

She is so lovely. I swear, she has seen me cry more often than my partner has!

How are you doing now? Sending you support and good wishes.

How are you doing now? Sending you support and good wishes.

Thanks for checking in. I feel like a weight’s been lifted, and just need to remember what the dentist said if I start to spiral. I went out for lunch yesterday and did not order soup!

Thanks for checking in. I feel like a weight’s been lifted, and just need to remember what the dentist said if I start to spiral. I went out for lunch yesterday and did not order soup!

Great outlook! Also yay for not ordering soup!

Back