• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anyone had fillings between teeth?

C

CanadaGirl

Hello,

I just had two fillings placed between two molars (as in, back of one molar and front of another).  I was very nervous but it went well and I was feeling really good about it.  However, about 24 hours after getting them filled I flossed in there and the floss now gets snagged up between the teeth.  The surface on both teeth feels rough and on one it's almost like there is a little ridge, but I can only feel all this via the floss and cannot see anything wrong.  Also, there was a little bit of blood when flossing in there - I have not had blood while flossing in years.  Should I be concerned about this?  Or is it normal for it to feel different and not smooth?

Hi - normal for it to feel a bit different yes, not surprising there is a bit of bleeding as the area may be inflammed for a few days. You may want to get your dentist to check that the filling is smooth between the teeth - they can do this easily with some polishing strips.

Also check your flossing technique - it's easy to cut into fillings if you're not careful.

Hope that helps.

Pars :)

Hmm, interesting. I think I may go back and ask him - a few people have suggested that to me. Much as I don't want to go back to his office, I also don't want to be walking around constantly wondering if something is wrong in there. I didn't know you could cut into the filling just with floss :confused:, now I'm concerned about that too! Thanks for the reply.

You can cut a filling with floss??? :confused:

Now I'm worried too. I have a rough surface in between 2 teeth where I got a filling, and I've been flossing the bejesus out of that thing. I hope I haven't done damage. I'm going in a week to get another filling and an impression done and will have him look at it then.

Hmm - didn't mean to worry you...

Flossing needs to be done with care.

I cut underneath one of my fillings when I was young and carefree by doing some sort of extreme see-saw action which pulled the floss forwards against the tooth. You just want to slide it in and out of the junction between the teeth.

Hope that helps.

pars :)

Okay, I did as you (and others) suggested and went back to get it smoothed out. It wasn't a big deal at all, although I got nervous beforehand and convinced myself that it would need to be drilled out and redone - my imagination is 100x worse than the reality of dentistry, I think! I was worried that the dentist would think that I was making it up or somthing, but he took it seriously and fixed it right up. Now hopefully I can relax and not worry too much! Thanks

yay! - good for you! :jump:

CanadaGirl said:
Okay, I did as you (and others) suggested and went back to get it smoothed out.  It wasn't a big deal at all, although I got nervous beforehand and convinced myself that it would need to be drilled out and redone - my imagination is 100x worse than the reality of dentistry, I think!  I was worried that the dentist would think that I was making it up or somthing, but he took it seriously and fixed it right up.  Now hopefully I can relax and not worry too much!  Thanks

That's my fear too. I have 2 rough patches and am about to freak out. My appointment is Wednesday, and I have one other filling and a couple of impressions to do.

Back