• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anyone in their 30s and 40s and having wisdom tooth problems?

K

Kelly1007

I am 23 years old and scheduled to get all 4 of mine out in a month, but this is based on my dentists recommendations only. The teeth have never given me any pain or trouble, and while I can see on the xray the top ones are slightly growing towards my cheek, and the bottoms a little out of place, it really looked quite fine! Nothing like some of the xrays Ive seen as examples of bad wisdom teeth.

The oral surgeon's reasoning for getting them out seems silly. He keeps only saying "to prevent future problems" and used an example of a 70 year old! As if I care about having bad teeth when I'm 70! I'm really not sure whether to go ahead with the surgery in a month, or wait for any problems, IF ANY ever come. Right now this seems like really unnessecary surgery, especially if the best example he can give me is having problems when I'm 70!

Anyone in their 30s and 40s having problems, and needing to get them out? If I truly believed I was getting them out now to prevent problems in my 30s or 40s then I'd do it, but it all sounds like a bunch of BS, sorry to say! Any advice?

Mine never came through, I had to have mine out when I was 30 because they were causing damage to my other teeth, they were impacted and the dentist said that they shouldn't be allowed to come through because at that time I was in agony with a very painful mouth and all my teeth were fine except the wisdoms. So to prevent any further problems I had them all out. :butterfly:

I was so glad I did because once I had healed I was fine and out of pain. I had mine out under GA.

I'm 38, I have never had a cavity and getting all 4 of my wisdom teeth out next week.

All 4 came in fine and my mouth is big enough to hold them. However they are so far back that they are hard to keep clean. The reason they are coming out is because of my gums. My dentist measured pockets between the gum and all 4 wisdom teeth to be a full 1 cm or more deep. Healthy teeth and gums usually have a 1-2 mm pocket. She cleaned and treated them, but the pockets still remained at half a cm or more after a month. She said I could leave them in, but the gum disease would most likely spread to their currently healthy neighbors (my molars) or I could wait until some sort of infection from food, plaque, etc hanging out in the huge deep gum pocket and it ends up being a very painful emergency situation.

Hope that helps.

Hi im 37 and all 4 of my wisdom teeth are impacted. 3 of them never game me any trouble at all but there was one (lower right) that was on a weird angle and I had a few infections flare up when i was in my 20's and 30's so after procrastinating I finally got it removed this week.

The surgeon was freaking cause he wanted to take all 4 out -- I told him not a chance. A) I dont have insurance right now and couldn't afford it even if I wanted to. B) The other teeth have never given me a problem so I weighed the risks of surgery/complication vs the risk of problems in the future and decided to keep them.

I would recommend doing your research and making a decision that is right for you. There is no right or wrong answer here its all about you making a decision about your mouth that your comfortable with.

Cheers.

I am 31, and just got all 4 of my wisdom teeth out this morning!!

I had a couple dentists over the years say I *should* get them out, but being dental-phobic, I would say "Ok" and then go to someone else.

They never caused me problems (besides my mouth being extremely small to begin with so it would have definitely helped back when they came in), until the last month where, after a 12-year absence from visiting dentists at all, I had one tooth get infected and need a root canal and crown, and another that needs a root canal and crown ASAP. Both of these teeth were next to wisdom teeth. Apparently bacteria can get in there if they came in funny and cause you problems.

So this time I HAD to get my wisdom teeth out (it's not so bad!!) before I can fix my other one that is neighboring it.

I definitely think there are dentists who take them out unnecessarily and it is not needed for everyone. However, if they say you might have problems in the future because of the way they are angled, etc. I would believe them and just do it. I wish I would have done mine years ago (especially when I was under my parents' insurance still! ha!) but a second opinion can't hurt either! Good luck!

I'm 19 and was told that i only have one wisdom tooth and its not slanted and might not even come in. probably wont cause problems. dentist said i could take it out to prevent future things, but its not likely to happen. as a phobic, i said HELL NO to extraction :giggle:

I'm 19 and was told that i only have one wisdom tooth and its not slanted and might not even come in. probably wont cause problems. dentist said i could take it out to prevent future things, but its not likely to happen. as a phobic, i said HELL NO to extraction :giggle:

Don't do it if you don't need to. When I was your age (19, I'm 21 now), I was told to get my wisdom teeth remove. But I waited a year since I was injured. So I went when I was 20 to an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to get them extracted. Where I am from, he is the best one in town (really nice and patient). I got it extract it this August and I went back because the nurse forgot to give me an syringe and I got infection. I had the worst experience. Even I had problem reopening my mouth like before, because he probably over open it-all of them mind not realize it they over open it (thank goodness he did not do anything worster than that). My dentist was really surprise that I had problem with him when I was listening to his orders. Has she told my mom that she does not even know anybody else who had trouble like that with him.

listen to your dentist

I am 32 and wish i would have gotten my out when it was recommended at your age. Now im in severe pain,have to get them removed and its costly. Also once they grew in i barely can eat because i bit.my cheeks all the time. They get infected and also have pushed my other teeth and even a molar broke. Do it now if the doc is recommending it. I wish i would have. Mine didnt give me any issues at 23 either but all that has changed. Best of luck. I get two removed next week.

I am 23 years old and scheduled to get all 4 of mine out in a month, but this is based on my dentists recommendations only. The teeth have never given me any pain or trouble, and while I can see on the xray the top ones are slightly growing towards my cheek, and the bottoms a little out of place, it really looked quite fine! Nothing like some of the xrays Ive seen as examples of bad wisdom teeth.

The oral surgeon's reasoning for getting them out seems silly. He keeps only saying "to prevent future problems" and used an example of a 70 year old! As if I care about having bad teeth when I'm 70! I'm really not sure whether to go ahead with the surgery in a month, or wait for any problems, IF ANY ever come. Right now this seems like really unnessecary surgery, especially if the best example he can give me is having problems when I'm 70!

Anyone in their 30s and 40s having problems, and needing to get them out? If I truly believed I was getting them out now to prevent problems in my 30s or 40s then I'd do it, but it all sounds like a bunch of BS, sorry to say! Any advice?
I am 55 years old this year and I have to have an impacted tooth out in July.

I only have had one come in (so far) and I ignored the advice to get it removed. Finally, when I was 29, I got the courage up to schedule it with an oral surgeon and then found out I was pregnant the same week as the extraction was to happen. The oral surgeon told me to reschedule for after I gave birth. After my baby was born, I just forgot about it and being anxious about the dentist, I put it off. Big mistake. It was impacted and growing at an angle, which turned in to a horrible abscess. When I say that the pain was worse than childbirth, I am not exaggerating at all. It was the worst pain imaginable. I had a course of antibiotics and then got it removed, easily. Wish I had just had it done when it was first suggested when I was in my early 20s. Plus, if they do cause you issues in your 30s or 40s, healing from procedures and surgeries is much slower and I think your risks increase. I’m not a dentist, though, so they would know better. Good luck either way! I do understand not wanting to do it unnecessarily!

I have just had a lower impacted wisdom tooth out and I am mid fifties.

I got two of mine out at age 48 and the other two out at age 49-just a few days ago! I wasn't aware of them causing problems, but that is only because I avoided the dentist for a long time! They can cause problems for the neighboring teeth, and they can be difficult to clean properly. I ended up getting the first two out because I developed an infection-probably the worst pain I have ever felt. I would honestly get them out and get it over with. Good luck!

how long did your flares last? All mine are impacted under the gum and my bottom gum hurts

Back