• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Apparently when Fox has IV sedation she thinks dentists are superheroes.

F

fox

Here's my little L-O-L story.

My dentists are super heroes.
That's what I think anyway. As you guys know I had my first IV sedation 2 weeks ago for a surgical extraction of a molar. If you didn't catch that thread - it went fabulous. I know, I know - how can that be considered anything but awful or maybe just a lukewarm "it was okay". And your experience may be entirely different from mine. For me it was a peaceful feeling and I was given an amnesic drug while coming out of the sedation so I don't remember a thing about it. Not one. If I said, felt, heard, or did anything I don't remember it. (Not in a struggling to remember way...but more like a comforted unconcerned way. It'd be nice if we could get that over the counter to forget some relationships! Sheesh!) It was the equivalent of being black-out drunk without the hangover. In fact I came-to feeling like a well-amused, bumbling idiot fighting an impulse to have a giggle fit. It wasn't a frightening feeling. I felt like I could move around and such but I was still so "out of it" while recovering. I don't know if it was the sedation or the combination of sedation with other meds or what, but whew.

I should post the video that my designated driver (to take me home after surgery) took of me while I was recovering. I don't even remember the conversation or the video being taken of me. I'm in the chair, completely FADED. Dazed look on my face like someone just woke me up, but I appeared pleasantly drowsy. I was polite and responsive to questions but smiled a lot and said the typical, "I feel sooooooooo gooooooood right now. No really, I feel gooooood. Have you had this? No? Then you don't know. You don't know what you are misssssssing. You don't know, how good...I feel..." and then in a slurry and sleepy voice, "Sssssuperheros. All of 'em. All dentists are ssssssuperheroes". The video continues for a few moments longer with me going, "I'm not a drug user but I want to do that again! Again. Let's do it again. More happy-go-sleepy juice in the little vial. Putz it in mah i-veeeeeee please kay thanks." (yes, that was a complete sentence)

To my DD:
"I want a Slurpee. Can we stop for a Slurpee?" (Icee, whatever you call it in your region of the world. Crushed iced drink.)
"No no - no straws remember?"
"Why you have to be such a dream killer? That'd make me so happy right now. I hope you feel guilty. My mouth is going to hurt like the dickens later and I'm blaming you."
"Me? Not the dentist?"
"You."
"Why?!"
"Because he saved my mouth. We are square in my book. You won't stop for a Slurpee."
"So maybe if I fill your perscriptions you'll forgive me."
".....maybe." :) LOL, all the while I'm in retrograde.
"You liked me better when you were too terrified to come in to the dentist."
"Totally did but right now you aren't my favorite. Let's get my 'scrips."

We didn't leave for another 20 mins or so until I was good and ready to be carted out in a chair to the car. I can remember the chitchat during those 20 minutes...didn't remember feeling doped-up and happy. Not even in the slightest. I guess the important thing is I kept talking about how I didn't hurt and felt "GREAT" and how thankful I was (apparently it was quite amusing for witnesses).

Lol...so the concern about whether or not I'd actually go and have the surgery after letting myself get spooked and riled up over it; actually turned out to be...certainly a good but funny experience as well. Today though? I go back in for a filling to be done and see another dentist there, and I'm like all shaky and nervous and clammy (forgot to take a valium before I went in). It was a cruddy feeling but I'm determined to keep going. Not every time is going to go so awesome as I want lol.

*face palm*

Last edited:
Re: Apparently when Fox has IV sedation she thinks dentists are superheroes.

lol Slurpee

Seriously that's hilarious.

To my DD:
"I want a Slurpee. Can we stop for a Slurpee?" (Icee, whatever you call it in your region of the world. Crushed iced drink.)

In this part of paradise, usually a Slush Puppie :)

As for the rest of the story.....brilliant ! You should do drugs more often ! :ROFLMAO:

John

:ROFLMAO: Too funny!!!

Thanks for sharing.

I am so tempted just to ask for sedation when I go for my upper wisdom and lower molar out soon, so many good reports on here about it.

Congratulations on getting it sorted.

Glad it went ok Fox.

Dave.:)

I am so tempted just to ask for sedation when I go for my upper wisdom and lower molar out soon, so many good reports on here about it.

Congratulations on getting it sorted.

IMO it is NO SWEAT. I mean, with minutes of having my IV set up I wasn't eve feeling loopy or tired... then I was talking to my doc when he was prepping things for the surgery (I couldn't see it, he was doing it behind my shoulder) and I cracked some inane joke, we laughed and then I realized in my head: oh, I'm getting drowsy, what I just said...made little sense, hahaha...this must be--- and before I could even think "working" I don't remember a thing. Was fantastic. He specified that IV sedation usually will make a patient feel like they're in a dream-like state. He also gives something like a retrograde drug that causes amnesia. I'm not sure if that is always standard with IV sedation or if that is just common with some doctors here in the US. All I know is that it was blissful and I had no pain, and no memory of anything god-awful that I normally would be a buzz about.

Sedation ROCKS!!!

Great story, thansk for sharing :)

I was getting a bit worried about the fact that I absolutely LOVE the feeling from IV sedation! Mmmm....that drifty off feeling just as it hits you...ahh, lovely. I know it is a serious subject, and not to be laughed at... but sometimes...just sometimes, I can understand drug addiction. Oh dear!!

I am aparently quite famous in my dental surgery when I have IV sedation (My treatment is finished now, hurrah, but I must have had it five or six times.) It is quite a big practice, and I have become quite friendly with the staff. One receptionist told me word goes round when I am in, LOL, and they all come for a look - dental nurses, receptionists, hygienists...;D I think she was joking!

Apparently they cant shut me up for the first few minutes, and I waffle on for ages, talking a complete load of boll*ocks, tell the dentist I love him and he is wonderful, tell the dental nurse she is wonderful and I love her too, then I laugh like a maniac, then suddenly mid sentence.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:sleep: Of course, I am NOT actually sleeping, but at long last, I shut up long enough for the dentist to do his work! I can still respond to commands (like, open your mouth, rinse or SHUT UP)

When I come too and am at Reception, I tell everyone they are wonderful and I love them all, including the baffled patients waiting to be seen. Then I do a sort of Queen Mother wave, still shouting I love you, as I am led out by my embarrassed husband or mother. Then I stagger back to the car park, waving and grinning at complete strangers, occasionally letting a little "...love you!" slip out, while pointing at someone.

I remember absolutely none of this from the moment the IV goes in. :p No recollection of anything, except being deliriously happy....in the DENTIST CHAIR!!! Imagine that for a phobic!!

What a great way to get great teeth!!

Last edited:

HAHAHA!
I'm glad someone else enjoys the sensation of it! *laughing* That's hilarious. I once hit on an anesthesiologist that I'd had for two surgeries. Much later on, I was introduced to him through a friend...same guy! LOL I'm like "Well, I've already hit on you so the hard part is over." We dated for quite awhile and shared quite a few chuckles about the matter.

Back