• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment coming soon, whirlwind of emotions

  • Thread starter Thread starter AbeLinkedIn
  • Start date Start date
A

AbeLinkedIn

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2017
Messages
53
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. I have an appointment with my dentist on Monday morning concerning a couple of cavities which need to be addressed but my fear is one of the cavities in question. One I know can be filled no problem but the other one I fear is too neglected and needs more than a filling. They're front teeth if that helps, not molars, and I'm not in any pain in any way, nor have I ever been from this particular issue. What worries me is how deep the cavity seems to be even though most of the tooth is still intact and decay hasn't reached under the gumline. My big fear is a root canal

It's a whirlwind of emotion because I've been to this dentist several times in the past and he has an amazing bedside manner and willing to accomodate me (His assistant even offered nitrous if I needed it during the appointment) but since I know them well I'm embarrassed about that one tooth and how it seems like Im not doing my part when it comes to dental health. I'm a college student so I barely have time to brush regularly and the same goes for regular cleanings. I've had fillings done by this dentist in the past and they're great at what they do (Though last time IDK if I had enough anesthetic because there was a little pain) but the irrational part of me is going nuts.
 
I know exactly how you feel *sigh* Good luck :)
 
Thank you. I have a feeling I'll just need filling which I can handle, but RCT scares the piss out of me. As far as I know I have no signs of needing RCT except I have a few layers of dentin protecting the pulp
 
Tomorrow's the big day, I'm panicking, shaking, on edge, I can't take it. Help?
 
Seems like you're in a better situation than me if that helps you any :/
I've been thinking about my appointment on Tuesday. I can go back to doing what I'm doing watching tv etc but all goes back To my upcoming appointment.
Is there a significant other or sibling or anyone you can talk to that sort of helps,I've talked it over a few times with my husband and he assures me I'll be fine and it helps to feel encouraged but I'm betting I won't get any sleep at night till this appointment is over.
I hope yours goes well, I'm sure it will ! Keep us posted.
 
Stopped by to wish you good luck tomorrow. Your dentist may make suggestions for you to take better care of your teeth, but from what you've described, he won't shame you. If he does, that's not ok.

Try not to think the worst! Even if you do end up needing a root canal, they really aren't everything their reputation makes them out to be. I've had 4 (5 if you count the retreatment), and felt no pain at all during any of them. A lot of people on the forum find them easier to get through than fillings because there is way less drilling.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.
 
Good luck for tomorrow! I/we understand exactly how you feel!
 
Today's the day, I'm nervous as Hell but I know at least it'll be over soon
 
Let us know how it goes ! Good luck!!! :)
 
Update: My teeth were filled in what seems like no time at all. The staff was all kind and caring and alleviated all my fears. I also scheduled a cleaning two months from today, so that's great.
 
Awesome ! Glad to hear all went well !! *sigh* here's to hoping my appointment tomorrow goes as well as yours !
 
I think you'll be fine. The dentist I went to was great, can't give him enough high praise. Usually I don't look forward to appointments, but the cleaning in two months will be a piece of cake I know
 
Back
Top