• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment less than a week away

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sunshine73
  • Start date Start date
S

Sunshine73

Junior member
Joined
Oct 20, 2006
Messages
16
I was doing so well up until today. Up until today, I was able to put off thinking about my upcoming dental appointment, I was able to view it as something distant and not important. Somehow, I was able to push it to the back of my mind and pretend that it didn't exist.

This afternoon it all caught up with me. I looked at my calendar and saw the appointment written there (Tuesday the 12th) and all of a sudden I'm a nervous wreck. All I want to do is call and cancel. My DH couldn't get off early from work that day so I have to go by myself. I know that it's just a first appointment and that all that will happen is a consultation and probably some x-rays so why am I so panicked?

I know this has to be done. I hate my teeth, I'm embarrassed by them and I'm tired of never being able to fully smile but I'm so scared of the dentist I don't know what to do.
 
Hi Sunshine :) The fear of the unknown and the "what if's" are often the worst. Sit down and write down all of your fears and concerns. Take that with you to your appointment, so they will know all your fears and be able to address them with you. Do not worry about the state of you mouth...the dentist has seen far worse. Most of all try and focus on that wonderful day...the day in which you will be able to smile showing off your beautiful teeth ;D
 
Hi sunshine I guess we can worry together huh, my appointment is on the 13th! I guess I am not worrying as much as you though as I have met my dentist, I have had treatment and this appointment is only to see how I am and have a check up, it doesnt stop me from worrying about possible problems though! I just have to sit here with fingers crossed that nothing needs to be done!

Like Freakout said, take a list with you and show the dentist what you have written down. I have done this, as have many others here and it really is a good way of telling them how you feel.
 
Nat said:
I have had treatment and this appointment is only to see how I am and have a check up, it doesnt stop me from worrying about possible problems though!
Nat,
I don't know if you want to hear this or not but I'll be amazed if you need any treatment [smiley=confused.gif].....

Nat said:
I just have to sit here with fingers crossed that nothing needs to be done!
No, faulty thinking...try to assume it will all be fine and concentrate on learning to relax your way through it - knowing its the first time in ages you've gone in with a healthy mouth....you may well be disappointed with how quickly you are in and out of there :P.
And so what???, if you do need treatment is the next step!!!! You won't need any though apart from a gentle clean at most.
 
Thanks Brit! I know that my mind works overtime and I guess the good thing is that I am no where near as nervous as I was all those months ago! I just worry that things wont go as smoothly as I am hoping them to, I have some sensitivity still in my crowned tooth and also in another tooth at the back somewhere so I worry it may need a filling, I had the sensitivity in the back tooth when I had my treatment so I keep telling myself if there was a problem the dentist would have done something about it back then right?!

Sorry sunshine for hijacking your thread!
 
Nat said:
Sorry sunshine for hijacking your thread!


No problem! It's great that we can all get help and support!   ;D

As for me...I'm going to be rescheduling my appointment. Note, I did not say that I was cancelling...just rescheduling. For me, that's a very important distinction. Turns out my DH forgot to ask to get off of work early that day so that he could go with me.  :-/

He feels so bad that he asked me to postpone my appointment so that he could go with me and provide me with moral support! I must admit to feeling a bit of relief, knowing that my appointment now has been put off but I know that it's something I have to do which is why I'm NOT cancelling but rescheduling.

YIKES!!!
 
Back
Top