• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

are wizzies "necessary" to be removed??

archaeodani2

archaeodani2

I have two wizzies - top left, bottom right. Neither touch the corresponding upper/lower jaw, neither have cavity issues, neither are impacted or otherwise are growing anywhere but straight in.

The bottom is fully in, and done. The top (wierdly enough) is smaller than my canines :confused:, has only one root, and is also done moving.

Do they *really* have to come out?? The dentist wants them out, but is ok with me not doing it .. I really don't see the point.. Any suggestions?

I really don't see the point either. Why does the dentist want them out?

If it's not broke then don't fix it. Or rather don't extract it in this case... I reckon you'd need a good reason to have them out, so like Gord says - what was yer dentists argument here?

Pars :)

(wierdness - I couldn't log onto the site w/ archaeodani from work.. can from home :confused:.. ahh well.. now I have an ID from home and an ID from work..)

Anyhooo.. Dentist just put it in the treatment plan.. dunno why... Neither wizzie are hitting the gums opposite them, so I can't see THAT as a factor. I think he thinks eventually there could be infection from the teeth smashing food into the opposite gum, and breaking the gum :?? :confused:

Maybe it's just a recommendation??

I am seeing him this evening to pull the stitch from last Tuesday's extraction :jump: I'll ask then...

The reasons for pulling wisdom teeth are mostly preventative, as WTs can cause crowding, teeth damage, jaw deformation, they can be impacted, infected, etc. If they're in and they're not damaged or damaging, keep em. You're probably wise enough.

In my case, yes. All four were nearly growing perpendicular to the rest of my teeth, pushing against one of my molars, and another was either causing or aggravating a cavity.