• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad accident resulting in a broken front tooth and a slightly wobbly one

T

tabbycat

Hi,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice really!

I'm not the best person with dentists and this accident has knocked me for six!

I was on holiday last week and on the first day I managed to slip around the poolside and land on my face. This resulted in my front tooth (number 11 I believe) breaking in half and the other front tooth becomming unstable.

I was mortified by the look of my face being my front tooth and the swelling of my lip didn't help. I was on a greek island as well for information.

2 or 3 days after the accident I managed to get an appoinment with a local dentist who spoke pretty good english. He told me he would do a temporary repair so aesthetically things would be ok.

He took several xrays and determined the nerve was damaged and so he extracted the nerve. He then inserted a metal screw? type thing into the tooth and added (I assume) a composite type material around it. Well I have to say I amazed with the quality of the work. Of course it doesn't match my other teeth perfectly but you would have to look closely to see the difference. He then told me he had in fact done a slightly more permanent fixture. He said I would need to get the nerve canal filled up? I think when I get home? but it should last me quite a while.

A week and a bit later I get home to see a dentist locally. They say that he has fixed the tooth in a different method to one used in the uk. I was a bit worried at this point. I have now been reffered to a community dentist who will perform the next step.

I am, I must confess, a bit confused about this next step and where I go from here. I am reasonably happy with the tooth as it is and I don't want a crown put on if it doesn't look as good. I have access to some money so I guess private would be an option. But would they do a better job than the NHS?

My second query is the wobbly tooth next door. Over the course of the holiday it did get a lot less wobbly and the dentist there said the x-ray looked ok. I have been told (back home) it is grade one? Not sure what that means but as a worst case scenario I could lose the tooth which I am devastated about and have no clue what to do from here.

I'm sorry bfor the long post and I hope someone can help me!!

tabbycat

Re: Bad accident resulting in a broken front tooth and a slightly wobbly one

teeth that are loose from trauma often tighten up on their own. The trauma might have killed the pulp"nerve" of the tooth that can be tested with a pulp tester.
As to the root canal that would have to be evaluated by someone there.

Back