• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad News, Good News, Bad News, and Question

N

NETWizz

The bad...

My upper left quadrant had low-level, intermittent tooth aches, sensitivity to sweets, and jolting pain to a Water Pick.

The a Good...

After 4 visits, the pain and sensitivity are completely gone. We did 12 DO, 13 MOD, 14 MO, 15 MO. As of May 4, 2020 through trial and error, four times being shot up and drilled on by two dentists, I am pain-free...

The bad...

#30 needs an MOD replaced because it shows up on an X-Ray with decay around the margins

#3 needs an O because a dental explorer sticks and the enamel is soft.

These teeth are asymptotic!

Question...

When filling #30, I was told it will require a block numbing half my tongue. Why is this when it wasn’t necessary for any other teeth?

Q2: My new dentist uses an Ivoclar filling product and Gluma. Are these any good. How do they compare to EsTheTx”

When filling #30, I was told it will require a block numbing half my tongue. Why is this when it wasn’t necessary for any other teeth?

Hi NetWizz, a block is only needed for lower back teeth, that's why. The other teeth you mentioned sound like upper teeth. We have some explanations and a picture about where the nerves are here if you like to take a look.

For composite filling materials it doesn't matter which brand of filling material is used, they're all fine, what counts is who's using it and how careful their technique is, composites are horribly technique sensitive.

What can I do to help? I will say they don’t use a dental dam. Should I switch practice?

They don't have to use dam if they have good assistants and practice careful isolation. Again a poor practitioner with dam will do worse than a good one without :)
What you can do to help is to sit very still and keep your mouth open as wide as you can for as long as you can.
I know it sounds daft but you'd be amazed how many dental patients simply don't do either!

I try to keep my tongue away and breath through my nose until after the cure light is removed and any matrix bands are taken away...

My dentist usually gives me a break once the tooth is completely sealed before grinding go on it, somI can close my mouth.

I will work harder to keep my mouth more open.

I try to keep my tongue away and breath through my nose until after the cure light is removed and any matrix bands are taken away...

Wow, you sound like a dream patient! Hope all goes well with the filling. Keep us posted :)

It happens June 1st and it is two fillings I hope go well because both teeth are pain free right now. Already, I am so thankful that after #15 was refilled I am 100% pain free throughout my whole mouth. I am practically elated after tracking this down over six months. If it wasn’t creepy strange, and not for COVID-19 I would seriously hug my dentist!

You live with an annoying pain and try and be conservative with dentistry, and you adapt to a new normal where everyday you have a dull pain that comes and goes. You get used to cold sensitivity in said tooth and that it hurts to floss it... and that brushing in the quadraft sometimes causes a jolt if a bristle happens to contact exposed dentin... You favor eating on the other side!

Then suddenly after numerous tests... you get that last bad filing replaced and the quality of your life just gets so much better.

You are in disbelief cringing when using WaterPick because you have a bad memory of pain, yet suddenly it just tickles and feels soothing. Your brain needs to re-learn that it can safely stop compensating because the pain is gone.

I am telling you it’s wonderful to get a quality restoration that tightly seals a tooth and 100% cures the pain because even low-level pain for a long time takes a toll on your quality of life.

I will report back after Monday...

Well it’s over... I am all fixed job, and I think everything will be fine being all I have is a little residue soreness.

Tooth #3 was easy-peasy. Never felt a thing.

Tooth #30 was not so easy going. That little bugger did not want to go numb and it needed a big MOD!

It is done. I am so glad it is over, but I think this one was hard for both of us. I felt like my dentist was suffering too with this one.

Back