• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad pain in my tooth and afraid to see the dentist..

A

Andya5672

Hello all, I am new to this forum so I am not sure if I am posting in the right place. I was looking for a forum for anyone who could lend some advice. So for the last couple of months...I’ve noticed my tooth has a hole in it, I assume something like a cavity or decay. Ill admit...I’m not perfect, I have messed up a lot in my life and I haven’t always practiced good dental hygiene. I am 23 years old now and In more recent months though I’ve been trying to take better care of my teeth by brushing and such. I know I should’ve seen a dentist earlier when I saw this problem first arising...and shouldn’t have let it get so bad..We have dental insurance, but because I’ve never honestly really seen a dentist or taken care of my teeth much of my life, I’ve been scared to actually see one...also I worry how expensive it will cost even with insurance. But now I feel I have no choice. Today I was eating and I as I bit down on the tooth this excruciating sharp pain came out of nowhere and so bad I had to take a pain killer which isn’t doing it’s job very well. I’m in pain and I know it’ll only get worse if I don’t see a dentist to fix it...but I am worried, I don’t even have a dentist or know the proper way to choose the right one. What the dentist will say? Is what I wonder...if he/she will be annoyed with me that I haven’t taken care of my teeth earlier on, that I haven’t been too hygienic with them etc...I also of course am scared how bad the treatment will be...how painful it’ll be, I’m not one who takes pain very well. I want to know if anyone has been in my position, where they’re in their early 20s, never seen a dentist and have to for the first time? The pain is so bad I’m afraid to even eat thinking that pain will come again...thank you for listening I hope I can get through this,..I have had bad anxiety my entire life and never good at doing new things...especially medical related, thank you again.

Last edited:
Firat of all, a good dentist will NOT shame you or make you feel bad for your teeth being neglected. As I have said to others on here, good dental hygeine doesn't mean good teeth either. I can attest to that personally.
Often, you think your teeth are worse than they are, but believe me when I say the dentist will have seen worse. They just want to help you get your teeth pain free and healthy.
If you have dental insurance, most cleanings are free, part of preventive care. Schedule a cleaning/checkup, and the dentist can look at your tooth from there. If they can't get you in right away with a cleaning, schedule an emergency appointment.

As far as finding a good dentist, google dentists in your area and read the reviews. Look for ones that have reviews saying they are patient, good with nervous patients, etc.

Good luck!

Just so you know, there are lots of people with similar stories to yours. I just saw a dentist two months ago for the first time since I was 7 and I'm now 35. So know you're not alone. The dentist I ended up going with specializes in phobic patients and he called first to talk before I went to the office. If you can talk with the dentist over the phone before going in and establish a bit of a relationship, I think it might really help you - then you also don't have to go in and do the whole "Hi, I'm terrified, and this is my first experience..." thing. S/he might also be able to tell you what they'll do before you go in. In my case, it was just x-rays and an exam of my mouth where the dentist wore gloves but no instruments other than a tiny mirror were used. Good luck, you're not alone and this board is really supportive.

Andy,

How is your tooth doing today, sounds pretty painful , its hard when you are having pain too and its just so hard to make the call and take the steps. Give yourself alot of credit because even though its really hard , you are in process of this , thinking of it , coming up with a plan, talking to us here, and that is a start.. take it step by step. There really are alot of great supportive dentists out there that will not shame you. That was a major concern of mine too. I learned by taking the chance and putting myself out there and it was a risk worth taking. If anyone does shame you or doesn't treat you right, remember you have choices and you can walk away and find someone who treats you kindly . I agree with Mountain mama, look for reviews that specifically say they are good with nervous patients. Also 2nd all of courage and bravery's advice !! and you are in the right place.. let us know how you are doing..

Hi,

Please allow me to invite you to watch some of my videos in my website TreatYourDentalFear.com , some of them can be really relevant for you, especially the one about fear of pain.

Hi! I went last week for the first time in 8 years and I was inconsolable throughout the entire appointment. I was shaking so bad the xray tool in my mouth was moving. I did a lot of research before going and picked an office that had good reviews and the front desk staff was understanding when I called. I have bad buildup on my teeth and will need a deep cleaning but I only have 3 cavities. The fear of what if was much worse than the actual appointment. I am still dealing with fear and uncertainty but it’s just courageous you’re even talking about it. Hope you’re feeling better!!

Hello everyone, I hope you can see this reply, if not I apologize I just don’t know how to reply to everyone on here. Apologies this is a few days late, but First Thank you all for the wonderful and welcoming replies, I truly feel it was a good idea posting on here. All of you are being very kind and helpful about my fear of seeing the dentist for the first time, Alittle update on my situation, my tooth ache has gone away For now BUT I still am going to see the dentist to get it checked, to see what is the cause of it since it’s been going on for a while now, and I believe I might have a cavity or something similar, but as of course I am not a dental professional I want to see one to confirm it haha. I am taking it easy with my eating as well since the tooth has stopped hurting trying to stop eating sugary foods and drinking sugary drinks and still brushing twice a day now. I also have to find the time to take off work to see the dentist, I have only been working at my job for a year so that’s another thing, asking my boss for time off when I don’t exactly have the seniority yet, however my boss is a very nice guy and I think will understand. I have been looking up dentists in my area and I found a very good one who got perfect 5 star reviews, not one person gave him a bad review and said they all had good experiences with him and that he’s very understanding and a great person in general and even In his photo on his website, he looks like a nice welcoming person so I might choose him and go see him, thank you all again for the kind words and reassurance, it means more to me than you can realize. Have a nice day

Best of luck Andy! Let us know how it goes. I will be having a deep cleaning and my first real dental visit for literally decades tomorrow and I am pretty nervous too-just know you are doing the right thing for your teeth and your health and the dentist is here to help you!

Andy, Sounds like you found a possible great option and have a gut peace about trying him out! HOpe he is even better than the reviews for you! and Jen good luck with yours tomorrow! You are brave and look forward to hearing how it goes!

Hi Andy,

just came across your post and hope you are well. I can't wait to read the update.

The forum might seem a bit complex if it's your first time here so don't worry about this.
Sending you good wishes and hope the dentist you had chosen proved to be a nice one. Also give yourself a pat on the back for reducing sugar and keeping on brushing.

By the way, the majority of people went through a phase of not taking much care of their teeth and it's nothing to be judgmental about. I haven't used dental floss and only brushed once a day for the most part of my life until I learned my current dentist. Taking care of your teeth is more fun with a kind caring supportive dental team on your side.

All the best wishes and let us know how you got on

Back