• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Basic cleaning with tooth issues?

T

TravelGirl

I have not been to a dentist in 23 years :(. I'm 43 years old. I have a lot of visible issues, including a broken/loose tooth. Because I can't chew food on that side, I also have quite a bit of calculus on the front and bottom teeth. (maybe 4 teeth? 5?)

I made a dentist appointment today. I wrote a practice on Friday and explained I hadn't been in 20+ years and was extremely anxious. Got a call today and thought it was unrelated, as I was waiting for another call. IT WAS THE DENTIST and I almost crapped. I'm scheduled for May 8. I DID IT, THOUGH!!!!!

She said part of my first appt (and to expect 2 hours) was a basic cleaning. How can they do any type of cleaning when you present with a broken/loose tooth and have a bunch of calculus on one side? (which likely requires a deeper cleaning).. do they just.... do what they can? And work around these areas the first time? I just dont know what to expect. When I went last at 20 my teeth were in perfect condition so cleaning was a simple process. Now, unfortunately, I have all these issues and my brain is wondering how they even clean around them.

How can they do any type of cleaning when you present with a broken/loose tooth and have a bunch of calculus on one side? (which likely requires a deeper cleaning).. do they just.... do what they can? And work around these areas the first time?
Yes, just do what they can. Loose teeth aren't as easy to remove as you might think, and there's no way they'll be affected by just cleaning off some calculus :)

Yes, just do what they can. Loose teeth aren't as easy to remove as you might think, and there's no way they'll be affected by just cleaning off some calculus :)
Wonderful, thank you so much!! I had all these fears they could only clean half of my mouth and not the other side or something. I'm anxiously excited!

Good luck! Let's hear how you get on?

Hey TravelGirl, what you wrote sounds eerily similar to how I’m feeling and my phobia of going to a dentist.
How did you get on on the 8th?

@Scaredygap im sorry I’m months late. I did end up going and have actually been back twice since! I got a basic cleaning and then needed a deep cleaning and they did that over two visits. Only one teeny cavity that I still have to get filled. And the broken/loose tooth was extracted a week ago. I go back every 3 months for a cleaning until they feel like I can do every 6 months (my tartar is building up so quickly, even in 3 months with flossing).

I also have to say I’m no longer too afraid. I found a REALLY REALLY good dentist and hygienist that take care of me, never judged and made me feel so safe. It made all the difference.