• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Been extremely scared of dentist now finally taking action but need advice

S

Sjc93

I'm having oral surgery in just over two weeks to have 13 teeth removed due to bad decay. I was also told I have a large cyst in my lower jaw on the right and that they would remove that. I had a ct scan so they could get a better view of where the cyst was to aid them in the surgery. My problem and fear is, I have what I believe to be an abscess on the same side of the mouth where the cyst is. It's is very painful and seems to be getting bigger and spreading down my gum/jaw in to my chin. I saw my dentist and told her about this and she said as I'm having the surgery in two weeks she will not prescribe me antibiotics. I'm scared this 'abscess' is something more sinister as every day it seems to grow bigger and spreads around my chin. Will this affect the original surgery planned? Should I go to hospital now?

Re: Been extremely scared of dentist now finally taking action but need advice

Hi WELCOME to the forum :jump::jump::jump:

I would contact the person that is going to do the oral surgery and inform them what is going on with the abscess. I am not a dentist but if you are in pain and swelling I would think that you would need antibiotics. But this is not always the case.

If you are worried then I would contact the hospital and explain to them how you are, let them advise you. They will probably tell you to go in to see them but I wouldn't leave it for two weeks.

Contact the hospital now and ask them :butterfly:

Let us know how you get on please :XXLhug:

Sorry for this late reply. My abscess went down on its own so I didn't need to contact the hospital. I went in for the surgery yesterday and had the cyst and 13 teeth removed. I was very scared but im
surprised at how great I feel today. I was very very numb when I woke up, that was the only discomfort I had. I hope if there's anyone else going through the same thing or something similar reads this to make them feel at ease.
I thought I'd be in great pain and my face would swell up but so far it hasn't, I even eaten some soft food this morning. My only fear now is getting dry socket but fingers crossed I don't. I can also feel stitches over all my gums, is that normal?

I think that if you have stitches it means that you won't get dry socket because the sockets are held together by the stitches so any clots won't come out. You may find that day three is the day when you may have some after feelings from the surgery. I think you have done wonderfully :jump::jump::jump:

It is good that you have no swelling or pain and that you have managed to eat too. Happy healing and well done :cheer::cheer::cheer::dance2::yayy::wow::wow::wow::claps::claps::claps::butterfly:

Thank you Carole for both of your replies, it's lovely of you to take your time to reassure me. That is great to know that if I have stitches I probably won't get any dry sockets (that was my biggest fear) I'm taking two courses of antibiotics and keeping dosed up on ibuprofen. My next step is a dentist appointment on Monday to have impressions done for partial dentures, hopefully then my life will get back to normal. I'm only 21 and the thought of having so many teeth removed was scary but I would rather have a healthy mouth with partials than a unhealthy one with bad teeth. Thank you again your words have helped uplift my mood :)

You are most welcome, I think you have been very brave :respect::respect::respect: If you do experience any swelling which you may do or if your jaw starts aching try a cold pack and or a heat pack, you will feel which one you prefer and helps.

I am glad that you are feeling as good as you are after having your teeth removed. GOOD LUCK for Monday :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

Let us know how you get on please :)

The stitches should help you to heal better and faster, but make sure you continue to follow all of the instructions provided by your surgeon. Depending on the type that was used, they will either dissolve on their own or you will need to have them removed.

Thank you Arzoo, I have been doing warm salt water rinses to help them heal and been brushing my remaining teeth as much as I can without disturbing the extraction sites. I think the stitches are the dissolvable ones.

I went to to my dentist appointment this morning and she said I couldn't have the mould done because I hadn't healed enough yet, and she's afraid it might pull the stitches out. So I have to go back in 2 weeks to get the mould for the top teeth next to my front ones and then wait 2 months for the rest of my gums to completely heal.
I think my fear is slowly fading as I just had fillings done on my front teeth with no sedation. She also got rid of this awful grey colour stain on my front teeth. I feel so much happier :)

Back