• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Benefits and Disadvantages of Bringing a Friend?

C

CollegeBound

I am considering bringing a friend with me to my next appointment, even if she has to sit in the car while I do my thing. She knows about my phobia, and I know (logically) that she will support me and help in any way she can. I just don't want her to see me freak out.

What are some advantages to bringing a friend to appointments? What are the disadvantages?

You have to make sure that friend has the patience of a saint. It helps me to have my boyfriend bring me in. also, if they do just an examination, usually the dentist will let them into the room to hold your hand. Even if during a procedure they are just sitting in the waiting room it is really nice to see a friendly face when you get out of the dentist office.

Thanks for your response :) I think that there are only two friends that I have that I could trust with that sort of thing. And my guy friend (not boyfriend yet... lol) doesn't know about this and I do not want him to. We are still trying to get to know each other, but this is something that I don't know if I would feel safe sharing with him so early in the game. I hate talking about this situation with people other than on here because I am scared that people with judge me and that they will make fun of me. At least I know the forum is safe to vent to, because we are all in the same boat.

Back