• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scale and polish, what are the benefits of it

A

A196x

My dentist has booked me in with dental hygienist for a scale and polish, I’ve had this done in the past. I usually don’t have dental anxiety with scale and polish but now with TMJ, I’m dreading and feel like cancelling.

I just wondered is it always best to get scale and polish or does it not make much difference? I did wonder what the pros vs cons were!

@A196x no cons, but the pros are, no tartar left once done, teeth stains gone and an overall healthier mouth

Yes, it does make a difference. As Kml1998 mentiones, the tartar from your teeth will get removed which is essential for your gum health and gum disease prevention. The polish part makes it difficult for new bacteria to stick too quickly.

What I am wondering is this: are there other options to make sure you stay comfortable despite TMJ, apart of avoiding the cleaning altogether?

Back