• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Biting down: normal?

F

fromyesterday

Last week I had my teeth cleaned. The hygienist was one I'd never had before, and I felt she was harsher than normal. It was the first time since my osseous surgery that anyone had cleaned my teeth with the water sprayer thing (sorry, I'm not sure what it's called!) and whereas I usually enjoy the polishing on teeth, this time it felt like she went over my teeth way too long. All the other times it's quick polish here and there, this time she stuck to one spot for awhile (bottom teeth. The same teeth she said were lose (though I didn't feel them. I'm guessing she meant underneath)). Now I can't really bite on them because they don't feel strong enough to bite down. Same with the top teeth though to a lesser extent. Is this normal?

As always thanks in advance. :)

Hey
It is possible that after the cleaning the teeth become sensitive with biting.
Usually the sensation improves after couple of days.
I would wait two weeks, and if it is still to sensitive, go back your dentist.

Sorry to hear that, I'd ask for a different hygienist next time if I were you.

Thank you for your response, Dr. Daniel. I'll definitely give it a bit more time.

I will, brit. I've never had my teeth be so sensitive after a cleaning. :\

Back