• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Blood pressure question

S

Scared stiff 2018

My blood pressure always jacks up when I go to a dentist or Dr will they still do iV sedation if my blood pressure is elevated. ?

I don't know much about iv sedation, but generally if you're nervous, your biochemistry changes in a drastic way and blood pressure is one of that. I would say that the majority (if not all) people who go through iv sedation are at least nervous or even plain terrified so of course they all have high heart rate and elevated blood pressure. If that was a barrier to the iv sedation than no nervous patient would ever be able to get there :)

So it is important to know your medical history. If you have white coat hypertension then I would go ahead and sedate you and then recheck your blood pressure. If it drops to a reasonable number then I would proceed. Some doctors might not be comfortable with this though. While I can use drugs to change your blood pressure during a procedure it is never anything I want to do. It is best managed medically. Excessively high b.p. during a case that is not associated with a provoking event that you can recover from will cause me to stop the case short.

So it is important to know your medical history. If you have white coat hypertension then I would go ahead and sedate you and then recheck your blood pressure. If it drops to a reasonable number then I would proceed. Some doctors might not be comfortable with this though. While I can use drugs to change your blood pressure during a procedure it is never anything I want to do. It is best managed medically. Excessively high b.p. during a case that is not associated with a provoking event that you can recover from will cause me to stop the case short.

I do have white coat hypertension.........it always goes up at the Dr or Dentist Office . I’m think about seeing a Therioist to try to work through this may help .

Back