• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

brand new dentures (full set)...how do i eat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jswalton
  • Start date Start date
J

jswalton

Junior member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
1
Hi! Today I got 9 teeth pulled (now i have no teeth) and my full set of dentures...WOW! My problem is they seem to almost fall out now that some of the swelling in my gums has gone down but moreso when I attempted to eat mashed potatos. I couldnt do it, it felt weird, made me gag and almost seemed like it was up under the roof of my mouth, needless to say i did not eat, took a pain pill and went back to bed . How do you get past this? I want to be able to eat normal foods...but it seems like im not going to be able to.

Any advice on how to get used to or deal with this? I'm feeling REAL discouraged :(

Thank you all!!
 
Hey!

You might also find this site helpful, as it's just people with dentures: [link deleted as website no longer exists]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey fromyesterday you beat me to it!! I was going to suggest that site, it's full of info and everybody is really supportive.
I tried fixodent cream but don't over do it on that a little goes a long way...I've heard the powder is really good too, if you can get it. you will get used to them it just takes time, try soups instead easy to swallow.
Sandy x

I should have mentioned that the first 2 weeks i was on soup and i didn't use any fixture had to let the gums heal, when ever i had a problem i returned to the dentist and he would shave abit off the denture to make it more comfortable.
 
Last edited:
Hi! Today I got 9 teeth pulled (now i have no teeth) and my full set of dentures...WOW! My problem is they seem to almost fall out now that some of the swelling in my gums has gone down but moreso when I attempted to eat mashed potatos. I couldnt do it, it felt weird, made me gag and almost seemed like it was up under the roof of my mouth, needless to say i did not eat, took a pain pill and went back to bed . How do you get past this? I want to be able to eat normal foods...but it seems like im not going to be able to.

Any advice on how to get used to or deal with this? I'm feeling REAL discouraged :(

Thank you all!!

Hey

First of all, well done 8-)8-)8-)
The period after multiple extractions is not easy but temporary (until new dentures are possible) and you dentist can help you tremendously.
It is advised to wear the dentures because it helps with the healing process, but if you feel that the dentures are not stable and to mobile, go to your dentist to fix it.
Fixodent/kukident and such are not very helpful because the changes in the tissue supporting the dentures is to big and rapid. What indeed can help is having your dentist adjusting the dentures to your mouth with a procedure called tissue conditioning, or relining. It might be needed to repeat this procedure again in order to provide you a reasonable ability to chew and reduce the gagging.

All the best :)
 
Back
Top