• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken tooth

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kirsty123
  • Start date Start date
K

Kirsty123

Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2025
Messages
25
Location
United Kingdom
I have a broken root canaled top 2nd premolar. I was due to get it extracted today but I couldn’t go through with it.. I had the worst panic attacks of my life today and cried every 5 minutes for hours until eventually my husband had to phone the dentist and get them to cancel the appointment. Now I’m scared if I break it even more or it starts bothering me. So I Carnt shake this awful doom and gloom feeling. Please someone tell me I’m not alone and they are like this too..
 
Kirsty123,

You are definitely not alone , it has happened to the best of us. The overwhelming panic feeling. and rescheduling. Does the office know much of your dental anxiety? And how have they done with that? They can be strong partners in helping you over come step by step with patience and grace. Give yourself credit for getting to the point you did and just take it a day at a time. Can you call and talk to them before making the next appt ?
 
They are not the best with me when it comes to my dental anxiety. Because I refused the dentist to take it out the day I got the tooth checked. She told me to go home and come back when i won’t waste her time and she advised me to watch teeth extractions on YouTube and to calm down. So I think her mannerism made it worse for me.. for me the dentists I have don’t seem happy to have to deal with anxious patients.
 
Hi @Kirsty123 I'm not surprised that you had panic attacks, I think a lot of people would if their dentist was so unsympathetic and cold towards them! That sounds like an awful experience :cry:. I take it you are looking for an NHS dentist? (correct me if I'm wrong)
 
Yes nhs dentist. I pay the nhs dental bands…and I’m currently looking every day to find a new nhs dentist taking on new patients but with no luck at the moment… I wish I could go private as I always hear good things from private dental patients but it’s just too expensive for me at this time.
 
You could ask for a referral to the community dental service/special dental care if your NHS dentist is unable to treat you due to your fear (which seems to be the case)? In most places, either dentists or GPs can do a referral.
 
my dentist has referred me for sedation but we saw when we done the online form that it is a 9 month wait. So I won’t get an appointment till July next year, she said that’s all she can do for me.
 
Oh that is a long wait :cry:.

Depending on how you're placed, could you consider going private just for the extraction? Extractions are usually not that outrageously expensive (though I realise it may not be an option if money is tight).
 
Back
Top