• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can dentist refuse to do regular cleaning?

S

SandyGirl

I recently spent $550 to have deep cleaning and scaling of my teeth. Now the dentists office wants me to come back every 4 months and spend $175 each time for "periodontal maintenance".

I cannot afford this since I have limited income, and I told them I would like to have regular cleaning and fluoride treatment 2 times a year since that is what my insurance will cover. They refuse to let me have regular cleaning. The office girl said I must have the $175 cleaning or nothing. She said the regular cleaning is nothing more than polishing your teeth. That's not how my previous dentist cleaned my teeth.

Now am I supposed to spend the rest of my life with uncleaned teeth? :(

Is this acceptable for a dentist to refuse to clean your teeth? Can someone please advise me?

Sounds like what happens on a DMO type insurance. Does your insurance limit who you can see to a list?

Sounds like what happens on a DMO type insurance. Does your insurance limit who you can see to a list?

Yes, my insurance company has a very limited list of providers. I am thinking of trying one of the other providers or at least asking their opinion. I am very upset about this.