• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can flexible dentures be worn at night?

D

Dawn65

Sorry, I'm so demanding with my questions...still trying to wrap my head round the maze of the denture issue... and for the apparent stupidity of some of my questions. I know nothing. When I was shocked into this situation, I thought dentures were just something old people had, were all the same, and were never felt by the person wearing them... every step of this seems to be more of a traumatic shock than the last... But nevertheless I am trying to make sense of this...

Question: can those flexible things; without the plates, be worn overnight? Or would you swallow them in your sleep if you did?

I know it sounds daft, but I need something in my mouth 24/7 or I'll never have a love life again.

Thanks

I don’t know if they can, but I wouldn’t. I don’t think it would be very good for your gums. I am also a bruxist and wear a night guard in bed.

I keep mine in one of those little pots from Boots which you get for decanting cosmetics/skincare into for going on holiday. I keep an identical pot in my makeup bag in case I ever needed to take it out at work, but I never have needed to.

What's bruxism?

A dentist years ago suggested a mouth guard to me. No idea why.

My night fixation is be not aware of the gaps at night - going mad over that. And so I can have a love life again.

Bruxism is grinding of the teeth.

Ah. Now I remember they said some thing about that...

It's possible but it's not a great idea. Imagine wearing a pair of socks 24/7.... how about a compromise of taking them out a couple of nights per week?

Is ok if I have two sets? Say, changing them into fresh socks.

My mother has had full dentures since I was a kid. I have NEVER seen her dentures and NO ONE has EVER seen her without them. I wonder if she has 2 pairs. I could ask her, but that would take a lot of courage.

It's a bit better but still not ideal. Your mother probably swipes her dentures out at night time when nobody can see her, my mother did that :)
Also full dentures are less "bad" to wear full time than partials.

Back