• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can residual bacteria/infection after RCT lead to cosmetic damage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lottie_11
  • Start date Start date
L

Lottie_11

Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
25
I recently posted asking for advice on what to do regarding an infected/painful tooth that has already had root canal therapy. I am very grateful for the advice I received; the consensus was to wait until I could afford re-treatment privately, which will (hopefully!) be in around three months.

I don't think waiting will be an issue as I only have a gum boil that appears intermittently and then disappears, there is no pain, (there was pain for about a day but it hasn't been an issue since) and the tooth is not

I've read that such infections can erode the bone around the tooth. Before I had the RCT around six months ago the dentist took an X ray and said that there was no damage to the bone around the tooth. If I wait how likely is it that there would be damage to the bone and how likely would it be that this damage would result in any cosmetic defects/damage? I know that may sound like a stupid question, but I'm really worried that there might be some outward physical/cosmetic/aesthetic damage because of the bone loss?

Can anyone advise on how likely/unlikely this would be ? Thank you :confused:
 
I think I answered you other thread when you originally asked about this. But just in case I didn't...

I had a rct'd tooth that has infection under it for nearly a year, I am at the moment having a re treatment at a dental hospital, although I felt the infection was there I wasn't in a load of pain but lived with the threat of it flaring up, the same as you are now. Mine didn't lucky for me, there was no other damage to any part of my bones or mouth while I was waiting to have the re treatment.

You should be fine waiting for three months, if it does flair up see a dentist and get some antibiotics or there maybe something else they could do to coast it, if needed. By coast it I mean keep the infection at bay until you get the re treat.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: Let us know how you get on.
 
I think I answered you other thread when you originally asked about this. But just in case I didn't...

I had a rct'd tooth that has infection under it for nearly a year, I am at the moment having a re treatment at a dental hospital, although I felt the infection was there I wasn't in a load of pain but lived with the threat of it flaring up, the same as you are now. Mine didn't lucky for me, there was no other damage to any part of my bones or mouth while I was waiting to have the re treatment.

You should be fine waiting for three months, if it does flair up see a dentist and get some antibiotics or there maybe something else they could do to coast it, if needed. By coast it I mean keep the infection at bay until you get the re treat.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: Let us know how you get on.
I agree. Three more months should not make much of a difference.
 
I agree. Three more months should not make much of a difference.


Thank you Dr Daniel! I was wondering, have you or any other of the dentists ever seen any case of cosmetic damage, like facial disfigurement stemming from this kind of problem throughout you career? I am just trying to ascertain if this is indeed a possibility, or if I am just worrying over nothing. Whenever I have to study I seem to find things like this to worry over :P Any advice is appreciated as always and thank you once again to everyone that has replied to my somewhat repetitive questions! :)
 
It won't happen in three months. Please don't worry it will be okay. I know the thoughts of it can drive you mad try not to dwell on the infection being there, the worst it will do is to flare up and cause you pain. But the dentist can deal with this easily for you if it happens :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::friends:
 
It won't happen in three months. Please don't worry it will be okay. I know the thoughts of it can drive you mad try not to dwell on the infection being there, the worst it will do is to flare up and cause you pain. But the dentist can deal with this easily for you if it happens :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::friends:

Just wanted to say thank you for your replies, I do feel more reassured now, will cross my fingers and see how it goes! Thanks again :)
 
have you or any other of the dentists ever seen any case of cosmetic damage, like facial disfigurement stemming from this kind of problem throughout you career?

I have never seen. If a tooth is not treated for years, than it can become no more treatable, and then it needs to be extracted. That's the most extreme scenario I can think of.
 
The gum boil will act as a safety valve for any poison from the infection allowing it to drain. Three months should be OK.
 
Back
Top