• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Residual root canal sensitivity and soreness?

  • Thread starter Thread starter scared2bthere
  • Start date Start date
S

scared2bthere

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
366
Can anyone tell me how long a tooth that has had rct but not crowned yet is going to feel sensitive. By that I mean if you put your finger on it and wiggle gently or put any pressure on it, it feels sore always. It has been about a month and a half since the procedure was done.

I also have an issue with this same side (top left). There is a tooth that is flaring up but I cannot tell which one it is. In the past month and a half I have had the one rct and one extraction in the area and a few of the remaining teeth need cavities filled. last Dentist appt he did an x ray and didn't see anything he thought to be causing it from the needed fillings and the pain stopped but it's started back up again. The extraction on this side was actually a root canal done back in November that abscessed and I had it pulled so I am afraid of the rc going bad because it's sore still. My mouth is still in need of so much work I just don't know. I just wish it would hold out so I can get one thing done before another falls apart. ::)
 
Thanks for the info. It prob won't be till next year I can afford to get this tooth crowned. I guess I'll just keep trying to be as careful as I can with it.
 
If the root canaled tooth is still that sensitive, I would have it checked over before considering a crown to determine what is going on. Sensitivity to pressure or touch might be signs that something is not quite right. You should be able to comfortably eat with the tooth if everything has healed up well.

If you crown a sensitive root canaled tooth, you'll most likely end up with a crowned root canaled tooth that is sensitive. The crown's purpose is to structurally protect the tooth underneath, but it generally doesn't solve sensitivity problems unless it is covering up a fracture in a live tooth or insulating the nerve inside a tooth from external sensations.

The other spot I can't really say what's going on without examining the area. There can be bite issues, sinus referred pain, abscessing nerves, acute gum problems, internal fractures, the list goes on.
 
Ok I'll let my Dentist know the tooth is still sensitive. Oh man I hate to go through more with this tooth. I'm so tired of teeth at this point I sure don't want to have to have them treated a second time [smiley=scared.gif]
 
Back
Top