• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can sinus issues mimic a cracked tooth?

Soma

Soma

I've seen on my x-rays that my upper teeth and sinuses overlap. My dentist even said if I ever need any upper extractions that he would have to refer me to a oral surgeon because he says it would be too complicated for him. It doesn't take much for my sinuses to flare up and cause a lot of facial pain, but recently along with the facial pain I've been getting a bit of a *zing* somewhere on my back two upper teeth. I can't trigger the pain every single time, but it's relatively consistent right now, it's been going on for a little over a week. I've tried biting on q-tips and the end of my tooth brush to pin down a spot but it's hard to do without gagging. I was wondering if sinus infections can cause this sort of pain or if it's sounding more like a crack at this point? There is no extra sensitivity to hot or cold compared to normal. Just a general ache on the whole side of my face and a zing pretty often when I eat.

I've seen on my x-rays that my upper teeth and sinuses overlap. My dentist even said if I ever need any upper extractions that he would have to refer me to a oral surgeon because he says it would be too complicated for him. It doesn't take much for my sinuses to flare up and cause a lot of facial pain, but recently along with the facial pain I've been getting a bit of a *zing* somewhere on my back two upper teeth. I can't trigger the pain every single time, but it's relatively consistent right now, it's been going on for a little over a week. I've tried biting on q-tips and the end of my tooth brush to pin down a spot but it's hard to do without gagging. I was wondering if sinus infections can cause this sort of pain or if it's sounding more like a crack at this point? There is no extra sensitivity to hot or cold compared to normal. Just a general ache on the whole side of my face and a zing pretty often when I eat.

Im curious about the same thing. I’ve had pain for the last 7-8 days that is not overwhelming, but constant. I can ignore it if I’m occupied but late at night in bed, etc...it is troublesome. I can brush, floss, eat, etc., without any big deal and I can’t quite determine the spot that hurts, just somewhere in the back top left :o I even thought it could be my cheek for a bit.

I tried to go today but the dentist is closed and it’s a holiday weekend. Sort of freaking myself out now. I don’t have any sinus pressure or pain, but I just started coaching my kids soccer teams so I’m outdoors much more now. My sinus location is near thentooth as well.

maxillary tooth and sinus pain can get confused. A dentist can tell the difference.

maxillary tooth and sinus pain can get confused. A dentist can tell the difference.

It’s going to be a long holiday weekend in my house. I’m going to try Tylenol and ibuprofen since I’ve read together they are quite powerful and maybe try a decongestant. Ughhh

It’s going to be a long holiday weekend in my house. I’m going to try Tylenol and ibuprofen since I’ve read together they are quite powerful and maybe try a decongestant. Ughhh

Hi Zach,

I guess I am a bit late with this, but combining different painkillers without the approval from a doctor is never a good idea, no matter what you have read..

How are you doing?

Back