• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

cancel appointment in the morning

• Thread starter katherinerwilliams
  • Start date
K

katherinerwilliams

I just can't do it, I have had an ache in my back left bottom tooth for a while now and I cannot go through with going to the dentist as it is too frightening for me. The tooth itself it decayed a lot and right now is hurting me a bit but for the last few days has been ok, Thursday just gone was the worst, it was agony at work and no amount of paracetamol would shift it, so I made the appointment for tomorrow the next morning.
I'm 37 years old and have been scared all my life, I dont have many friends who would go with me and my mum is the only relation that could, I'm afraid I'm too scared to go through with it.

One thing I am going to do though is speak to my doctor about this tomorrow, see what he thinks.

Thanks for reading folks.

Mark.

if you cancel you'll feel a huge wave of relief, but I know from experience that the fear will creep back quickly, perhaps even more so, and that tooth will still be hurting.

Try to go and see what the dentist says. Please keep us updated!!

Katherinewilliams, please do not cancel. We all know how hard this is and how terrifying and as Spider suggests, you will feel relieved, but deep inside you know that this is not a solution.

Here is the best thing to do if you feel you cannot get over it no matter what: just call them and let them know that you are not sure if you will be able to get through the procedure. Ask them if it were ok to go there and have a chat about some of your concerns first. They should be happy to do this for you.

It's ok being totally scared, but it will really help you to show up. You do not have to get the tooth treated if you do not feel up to, but at least showing up and talking to the dentist would give you some confidence and will serve you as a small victory. Maybe they can also give you some sedation options or something to take before the appointment. There are always solutions.

You are in control. You can cancel if you like and you can also go there and leave if things get overwhelming. It is up to you. But it would be great to face the challenge instead of running away.

All the best wishes, take care and let us know how you are doing.

Hi there. I absolutely understand how you feel. I was in your position a few weeks ago, except that mine was the upper left second molar. My tooth was decayed and I sort of knew it because it chipped but I kept putting it off even though I had the most terrible of headaches because I was scared. The only way I got over my fear was when my pain was too much to handle and I forced myself to go. Honestly, it’ll only get worse if you put it off. I was so sad I couldn’t save the tooth - my dentist said even crowning wouldn’t help. And now I’m missing a left molar. It doesn’t hinder my biting or anything but I also got three more fillings in other teeth just earlier this afternoon. The more you put it off, the more problems you’ll have later. Even now, I feel like I have a cavity I need to fill. It’s worrying me intensely so I understand how you feel. Talking to your dentist is very important because he’ll talk you through the procedure and what’s wrong etc so that you know and it really reassured you. You’re less likely to panic then.
All the best and good luck! Will always be here to listen :)