• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cause of dental implant pain when nothing looks abnormal?

J

jenny8484

One of my lower front teeth (#26) was extracted and bone grafted after a root canal infection. 5 months later my oral surgeon put in an implant. I was given antibiotics after the surgery, which I finished. 10 days after the implant was placed, I began to get throbbing pain that would only subside for a few hours when I took ibuprofen. I went back to the oral surgeon's office and he told me that he saw nothing wrong, and the implant site didn't look infected, and gave me more antibiotics and painkillers which did not help. Finally after the 4th day of pain (throbbing pain where I couldn't sleep, and now started to feel pain in surrounding gum) I had the oral surgeon take out the implant. I immediately felt better. My oral surgeon said he couldn't understand why I was in pain because even when taking the implant out, he didn't see the site infected. He wants to try and put the implant back in once I am healed but I am hesitant. What else could have caused such a severe pain?

I just got an implant last Friday and this is my worst fear. I'm still in a lot of pain on day 5. I'm sorry I can't offer an answer, but want to just say I hope that someone can offer thoughts or a solution.

I just got an implant last Friday and this is my worst fear. I'm still in a lot of pain on day 5. I'm sorry I can't offer an answer, but want to just say I hope that someone can offer thoughts or a solution.
Fearful have you been back to your dentist yet? I think you should.

No. He swelling has gone down and I'm just trying to wait it out. I'm hoping I'm just a slow healer. It took a while for the pain to subside after the extraction as well. I have a follow up next Friday.

One of my lower front teeth (#26) was extracted and bone grafted after a root canal infection. 5 months later my oral surgeon put in an implant. I was given antibiotics after the surgery, which I finished. 10 days after the implant was placed, I began to get throbbing pain that would only subside for a few hours when I took ibuprofen. I went back to the oral surgeon's office and he told me that he saw nothing wrong, and the implant site didn't look infected, and gave me more antibiotics and painkillers which did not help. Finally after the 4th day of pain (throbbing pain where I couldn't sleep, and now started to feel pain in surrounding gum) I had the oral surgeon take out the implant. I immediately felt better. My oral surgeon said he couldn't understand why I was in pain because even when taking the implant out, he didn't see the site infected. He wants to try and put the implant back in once I am healed but I am hesitant. What else could have caused such a severe pain?

Many many reasons I'm afraid. Most common ones are possibly the bone has been burnt from overheating. One of the other possible reason is that the implant isn't fully in the bone and might be sticking into the inside of the gum.

No. He swelling has gone down and I'm just trying to wait it out. I'm hoping I'm just a slow healer. It took a while for the pain to subside after the extraction as well. I have a follow up next Friday.

May I ask what ended up happening with your implant?

My oral surgeon wants to place the implant again around the New Year. He said there is a 1% chance of failure so he is confident that it won't happen again. I wish he had a 3D scanner to see if there is anything else going on around the area, instead of relying on an x-ray.

Back