• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chlorhexidine / Peridex question

  • Thread starter Thread starter geos
  • Start date Start date
G

geos

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2011
Messages
559
Location
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hi,
I had a gum graft on the upper and lower right side as well as a crown on the lower left side on February 3rd, so Thursday. I started rinsing with Chlorhexidine and I’m noticing tooth pain / sensitivity on my upper left side, where I had no treatment, after using the mouthwash. Is this a side effect that will go away?

I had my last dental checkup on January 26, with X-rays, so I hope they identified any issues I had.
 
I've not heard of any specific problems with CHx causing sensitivity, is it only the mouthwash which provokes it? Is cold water etc OK? Assuming it is, then...

Did the dentist prescribe the CHx? If not then I'd probably stop using it, if they did then call them tomorrow and ask if it's OK to stop it.
 
Yes, I have done cold water and smoothies that feel Ok. Yes, it was prescribed. I might have figured out what is causing the pain. I think when I swish the mouthwash around after having my mouth open to brush and floss, my TMJ pain gets triggered.
 
Glad you figured it out.
 
Back
Top