• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Clustered teeth in one spot and two opinions

Thanks Gordan. I appreciate all the advice and feedback!

Hello all. Me again and no idea if I should be asking for more advice here as it's primarily a teeth forum rather than jaw, but I'll go ahead until I get told otherwise!! So, to update things up to now, three professionals have strongly recommended jaw surgery as they feel it's affecting my jaw bone and I already have some evidence of bone loss. Frustratingly, noone can guarantee how much this might affect my life. I could get to 60 and be fine, or I could get there and NEED surgery at which point things obviously increase in terms of risk. I feel dammned either way. Jaw surgery can do amazing things, but God do I not want to do it. The idea of months of swelling and pain, only to find I may never feel parts of my face again is - without being dramatic - destroying me mentally at the moment. If anyone has gone through this sort of treatment could tell me their thoughts, or if anyone could give me some idea on success rate that would be tremendously helpful. To be clear, if this was purely cosmetic I could live with it, but from what I'm hearing I'm essentially playing with the risk of having significant bone loss by the time I'm older. If it's any help I've added an image of an excerpt from the orthadontist letter (identities redacted ) Any thoughts or advice would as always be welcome and sorry for endlessly asking for help!! My anxiety is on overdrive and I don't want to bore my friends and partner more than I have to!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210410-150017_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210410-150017_Drive.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 10
A potentially wishy-washy compromise for you then...

Do the first bit suggested in that treatment plan, i.e. steps 1& 2 then reassess, you're looking at a fairly long course of treatment just for the pre-surgical phase.

I think you're looking at very much worse case scenarios for the post surgical bit too, I'd say well over 95% of patients don't have any of the things you're worried about.

A potentially wishy-washy compromise for you then...

Do the first bit suggested in that treatment plan, i.e. steps 1& 2 then reassess, you're looking at a fairly long course of treatment just for the pre-surgical phase.

I think you're looking at very much worse case scenarios for the post surgical bit too, I'd say well over 95% of patients don't have any of the things you're worried about.

Sorry Gordan I forgot to thankyou for your last response! I've since had a call with an nhs dental surgery team too (been chasing for months and turned to recent orthadontics in lieu of a response!) And they have said they're happy to remove the problem tooth and restore. They would only remove the other tooth if orthadontics were involved which is something I've said I'm considering. I think my best bet is to restore the decaying tooth as Orthadontic work, even if I go for it (fear is going to be a huge blocker!) It will take, presumably months of not years, in which time the decayed tooth may have gotten worse. I'm set to have an appointment at the Royal Eastman (surgery team) dentists where they will discuss with me more and hopefully do a 3D scan and also attend my Orthadontic referral asap. What I really need to know is how problematic my overbite (underbite?) is to my jaw bone, something which the Orthadontist seems to feel could be a massive problem, or maybe not. It's wearing not being able to work with absolutes when something as intimate as your face is involved but....hey ho! Thanks for any thoughts and responses. Will continue to add and update on the chance it's helpful.

The issue with your jaw relationship is not something which can be answered very easily, seems to vary a lot from person to person I'm afraid.

If you want to sound all professional, call it a "Class 2", which is how dentists describe your bite.

Good luck with things, you're a very interesting case, so it's nice to get updates.

PS Sorry to be a pedant, but it's Orthodontics :)
"A very slow discipline, practiced by very slow people" John McCrossan, my restorative tutor in Glasgow in the early 80s, lovely guy, sadly missed.

The issue with your jaw relationship is not something which can be answered very easily, seems to vary a lot from person to person I'm afraid.

If you want to sound all professional, call it a "Class 2", which is how dentists describe your bite.

Good luck with things, you're a very interesting case, so it's nice to get updates.

PS Sorry to be a pedant, but it's Orthodontics :)
"A very slow discipline, practiced by very slow people" John McCrossan, my restorative tutor in Glasgow in the early 80s, lovely guy, sadly missed.

Ah! No, by all means be a pedant, I write for a job so I'm usually the one pointing out these things!

A class 2, I'll rember that too, thankyou! I certainly seem to be causing some head scratching that's for sure and I'm happy to provide insight. Thanks for all your help and support, it's all greatly appreciated.

What a lovely quote!

John had loads of memorable quotes. Some of which I can repeat in polite society :)

Take my advice and don't tell it to your orthodontist!

John had loads of memorable quotes. Some of which I can repeat in polite society :)

Take my advice and don't tell it to your orthodontist!
? My lips are sealed!!

Back