G
gmcguire
Junior member
- Joined
- Mar 15, 2007
- Messages
- 1
I'm currently trying to set up an appointment with a dentist after 7 years of not going. As usual I had a horrible experience when I was young with a dentist who refused to stop even though I wanted him to and I was in pain. My question refers specifically to my dentists policy of concentration. I understand that he needs me awake to keep from swallowing and etc. but when I went and got laughing gas I wanted to just close my eyes and daydream (I was having two cavities filled). Kind of meditate. I would close my eyes and try to imagine the furthest thing possible from what was going on in my mouth and completely ignore the sensations in my mouth. My dentist would constantly stop me. Every time I closed my eyes he would stop and tell me to open them and concentrate on my mouth. He wouldn't even talk about something else, or have something else going on in the room to distract me. He wanted me to solely concentrate on what he was doing.
Is this normal? Do most dentists have this policy? I want to ask my new dentist before anything happens, but I just can't figure out the reasoning of having me pay attention to the pain in my mouth. Was this just a bad dentist or am I overreacting. I would feel much better knowing that in future dentist appointments I won't have to focus my attention on being drilled.
Is this normal? Do most dentists have this policy? I want to ask my new dentist before anything happens, but I just can't figure out the reasoning of having me pay attention to the pain in my mouth. Was this just a bad dentist or am I overreacting. I would feel much better knowing that in future dentist appointments I won't have to focus my attention on being drilled.