• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cone beam CT. Very worried

P

patiku

I am due to have bottom wisdom tooth extracted next 7 days. I received letter from hospital yesterday saying :The distal root of the LR8 causing some deviation of the ID canal around it .
Also.... on the review of the come been CT scan there appears to be bony separation between the roots of the LR8 and ID canal.

How can I understand this please? I know that the root is touching the nerve but don't understand anything else.
I have trigeminal neuralgia and I am very anxious of possible complication.

Well,
LR8 means your lower right wisdom tooth.
ID canal means inferior dental canal.

The best person to talk with would be the surgeon or dentist that will be doing your extraction. The cone beam CT allows them to know what you have around your wisdom teeth. The good thing is that they know where your canal is and they will be extra cautious not to cause any trouble.

on the review of the come been CT scan there appears to be bony separation between the roots of the LR8 and ID canal.
I'm not a doctor, but it seems to say that the canal is not directly touching the roots of your lower right wisdom tooth.

Well,

The best person to talk with would be the surgeon or dentist that will be doing your extraction.
I totally second that, for two reasons: first of all, as you mentioned, you don't know how to interoperate the information mentioned. The Oral surgeon can ease your mind about that.
Secondly, the imaging of a tooth does not include all factors in the decision making regarding a tooth. Other factors can be age, medical condition and also your wish to minimise the chance for complications.
There are several approaches for dealing with impacted wisdom-teeth, surely you two can find the best course of action.

Thank you for your replies .

Unfortunately I have no chance of speaking to the Oral Surgeon. I am booked for extraction this Friday.

The tooth is not impacted.

I have trigeminal neuralgia (on the other side of the face ) otherwise I am a healthy 31 y old women.

I think you will be fine. I am sure the oral surgeon will not take chances.
In any case, nobody can extract anything without your approval. You can certainly present your concerns to the oral surgeon and decide on the spot what is going to happen.

Thank you for your answer.
I have already agreed to the procedure . I had to due to the pain I am having in the tooth for the past month.

Just don't understand if bony separation between tooth and nerve canal means good or bad thing . Will I need a bit if bone cutting out during the extraction. Before the CT scan been told I might need

Just don't understand if bony separation between tooth and nerve canal means good or bad thing
That's is a good thing. The oral surgeon cannot touch the bone between the tooth's roots and canal. Due to this bone separation the canal is well protected from potential damage during extraction.

Back