• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Confused about my dentist - root canal advice please

  • Thread starter Thread starter mc384
  • Start date Start date
M

mc384

Junior member
Joined
Apr 4, 2013
Messages
5
So I had an infected tooth and my dentist took out the nerve and prescribed antibiotics. The pain returned while I was abroad, it was very intense. The dentist (another one) told me he could see the infection, and that he would dress up the tooth and put me on antibiotics, and that my dentist in the UK will finish off the treatment. I asked for antibiotics as soon as I got back on the advice of the other dentist because he said it would prevent the infection growing. When I went to my appointment with the original dentist two weeks later, she was convinced that there was no infection and she took some more of the nerve out (she said there was some left). I am confused because if I tap my tooth I still feel pain. I'm not sure that my dentist is right when she says there is no infection and I'm worried that now the nerve is out I will only feel the infection when it has spread to other teeth and it could cause serious damage.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding anything and for the record my dentist wants to see me again, so is there anything I can do/avoid?

Thanks
 
hi
just taking the nerve out doesnt complete the job - your dentist needs to place the root canal filling as well. This is done after removing all of the nerve and cleaning inside the tooth.
Good news - the infection, even if it recurs, is very unlikely to effect the other teeth.
 
Hi mc384 I had a root canal done on a tooth that was infected, I was first given antibiotics then had the rct, mine did flare up again a few weeks after it was done. I was given more antibiotics and the dentist told me that it needed to come out and that was what they would do. I wanted to keep my tooth and the dentist I saw told me a different tale to the one that had done the rct, I knew sometimes they can take some months to settle.

I got a second opinion and have since had a re treatment I all being well will be having this tooth crowned in January or next year when it has been 6 months symptom free.

The antibiotics will not get rid of the infection, it will only calm things down so that the dentist is able to do the rct with you numb. The dentist has to remove all of the nerves and then clean the tooth out with bleach to get rid of the infection, they usually fill the roots and put a permanent filling in when they think they have the infection under control.

As Rob has said the infection will not spread and damage anywhere else and it will not go anywhere else in your body either. In your position I would follow what your dentist is advising and complete the rct followed with a crown in approx 6 months time if it has stayed settled. :butterfly:
 
Thanks for your advice guys, really reassuring :) let's see what the dentist said, I got a bit worried when I heard that these infections can make the face swell!
 

The skill of the dentist/endodontist counts for a lot as far as the success rate goes.
 
Back
Top