• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Contemplating Dentures at 28 - Can't afford (or tolerate) expensive treatments!

  • Thread starter Thread starter sunnylikesunshine90
  • Start date Start date
S

sunnylikesunshine90

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2016
Messages
80
Location
Central IL, USA
Contemplating Dentures at 28 - Can't afford (or tolerate) expensive treatments!

I've posted on the boards several times, but I always feel like I should give a brief rundown - This is going to be a long one, I apologize, but I feel like y'all are the only people in my life who understand the mind of a dental phobic person.

I'm 28 years old now, have had several years of extensive dental work (I hate to think about how many thousands of dollars have gone into my teeth over the years), didn't take care of my teeth when I was younger and have had issues for a long time.


I went to a new dentist in July 2018 after some lingering issues with what I thought were abfraction lesions. The dentist and his staff (who were very kind) agreed, but also pointed out that, at this point, I need SEVERAL fillings (over 8, I don't remember exact number), one tooth that has had previous RCT and crown now needs pulled, and a severely broken molar needs RCT and crowned. He said that yes, some of it was caused by lack of care, but I also have several health conditions that require medications that cause tooth decay. The most judgemental part of the appointment was when the dentist laughed, told me I needed to lay off the sugary drinks, and that he shouldn't care about my teeth more than I did (which was true when I was a kid - but I was sitting in the chair after a year of not going, that should have counted for something!). It made me feel a little crummy but I agreed that I should do better and waited to see the treatment plan.

The receptionist explained the treatment plan that would take five appointments (I requested Nitrous Oxide, which apparently requires certain employees to be working, etc.) - but I was absolutely gobsmacked.

With my insurance, the total was over $4000. In fact, that didn't even factor in the cost of the root canal, as he wanted to send me to an endodontist to have it done. The one he recommended isn't even covered by my insurance and the nearest one is like three hours away (I can barely tolerate a 5 minute car ride, let alone 3 HOURS and that's with a motion sickness patch!). I absolutely cannot afford $4000. I'm disabled and only get $500 a month in disability benefits (and that's up in the air due to some weird regulations) and my credit is shot from years of student loan debt. My Mom offered to help, but I can't ask my sickly mother who is surviving off of her widow's benefits to do that.

There's a place nearby that does accept medicaid dental that would probably cover the work, but I've sent them no less than four emails over the last six months and NONE of them have ever been responded to. Not to mention that they booked me in for a cleaning with being numbed, but when I called two days before to confirm, they said they couldn't do the numbing - so apparently they were going to just let me show up without ever notifying me that they couldn't do it. This place already burned up what little trust I was willing to give an unfamiliar dentist.


Anyway, I was really thinking about having my teeth yanked and just getting dentures. I'm scared, though, to be 28 years old with no natural teeth. I also know, however, it would be better to get it done rather than waiting for individual teeth to just break off and run the risk of infection and pain (I've been down the dental pain road before - never again).

Yes, I know dentures are not a fix-all.

Yes, I know that dentures lack a lot of the biting force that our natural teeth have.

Yes, I know that dentures wear down the jaw bone, leading to a change of facial shape.

I'd be more than willing to get these teeth fixed if there was someone in the area that was covered by my insurance that offered IV sedation - but there just isn't, and I can't afford over $4000 out of pocket. I refuse to go into debt to save teeth that are going to continue deteriorating to factors out of my control anyway.


What are y'alls thoughts? Have any of you had all of your teeth removed or lost them before you turned 30 (or even 35)? Are there dentists out there that I could approach and ask to do this or would they all shoot me down and insist on expensive treatments?

I don't know what to do, and to be quite honest, I'm worrying myself sick about this.
 
Re: Contemplating Dentures at 28 - Can't afford (or tolerate) expensive treatments!

I got dentures young, and while my life is fine, I wouldn't recommend it to someone over saving their teeth if at all possible.

It may seem very all or nothing right now, but perhaps you could work on only getting some of those fillings you need, and your cleanings. Get what you can afford, take the best care of the teeth you do have. That way, if you face significant tooth loss in future, having remaining teeth is better than having none. They help stave off bone loss, and if you were to get partial dentures or a bridge, they add stability, especially on the lower half, which leads to less chafing and better biting, eating, and quality of life in general.

It seems like you don't trust your current dentist. A second opinion is always a good thing - you don't have to use them for treatment, but you can get their opinion. You should have an honest talk with a dentist about what medication you are on, your levels of dental hygiene, and try get their honest opinion on whether RTCs etc would be worth it based on your history. I don't know if there's a dentist out there that would do full extractions when some teeth can be saved.

My life is better now than before I had dentures, but only because my teeth were very much beyond saving, with most of them broken. I would have chosen to retain at least some teeth if it was possible. :)
 
Re: Contemplating Dentures at 28 - Can't afford (or tolerate) expensive treatments!

Dear sunnylikesunshine90,

so sorry to read about your difficult situation. Also sorry for that inappropriate remark from your dentist, how insensitive from him :(
Dealing with treatment alone is scary and difficult enough, I wished you would be able to make choices based on what you really wish instead of what is affordable.

In general, if there is an issue, it might be good to look for solutions to this exact issue. Reading your post you do not really want dentures. In reality, you wish to get your teeth fixed under conditions you can deal with. This is the main point why it might be wise to look around a little bit more before having your teeth out.

Your experience with that place that does accept medicaid sounds defeating and I would be very discouraged by that too. On the other hand, it again shows that you are committed to find a solution for getting your teeth treated and not for getting dentures.

I do not know much about your health care system (hope you get some helpful replies from experienced members) and your options, but may I suggest you take a small break to process things and then try to see if there is any option you haven't seen yet? Here is also a link from this website that you might find helpful:


At the very least, feel free to vent here, it helps..

All the best wishes and keep us posted
 
Re: Contemplating Dentures at 28 - Can't afford (or tolerate) expensive treatments!

@Sevena - I think I'm going to do some more searching to see if maybe there is a dentist in the area that would be able to do some of the work under IV sedation. Unfortunately, it all boils down to what I can get insurance to cover. I have a separate insurance plan, but I also am covered by medicaid which offers very little in the way of coverage unfortunately. It blows my mind that it'll cover just about anything medical, but when it comes to dental, we get a big ole' shrug of the shoulders and told that we should've taken better care when we were younger (kids however, have dynamite dental coverage with medicaid dental plans)


@Enarete - I really don't want dentures, but I also don't want to waste time and money on teeth that are probably going to go bad in 5-10 years anyway; It's quite the conundrum :giggle: My father had dentures when I was younger and couldn't tolerate them (Then again, he refused to go back and get them trimmed and relined, so that's just as much his fault as the crummy dentist that made them in the first place), so I'm not exactly jumping with joy at the idea - though I did tell my Mom that at least I'd finally have straight white teeth rather than this crooked mess LMAO
 
Re: Contemplating Dentures at 28 - Can't afford (or tolerate) expensive treatments!

I recently had 20+ fillings, 2 root canals and 2 crowns. It was quite expensive but in the end I think it was worth it. It certainly hasn't been easy and I have made many many trips to the dentist to get it all done. 8 fillings doesn't sound that bad too me. You need to keep in mind that it doesn't necessarily mean that its 8 teeth, there are a lot of surfaces on a tooth and each one counts as it's own filling. In my case, it was on about 7 teeth I think. The teeth I thought were the worst had no cavities, just tartar. The root canal is up to you and the expense. Some opt to save the tooth, others opt to have it extracted.

Anyway, you already know that dentures are not a cure all, but remember that they are expensive too and do not last forever either. Dentures need to be replaced every 5 to 10 years I believe and they can break just like natural teeth. You are also supposed to continue visiting the dentist every 6 months despite not having teeth.

As far as expense, here are some things to maybe help.

Break the work down into more appointments that are spread out.

Try to find a dentist that accepts Medicaid

Look for a dental school nearby that offers discounted work and also accepts your insurance

Ask about oral sedation which is less expensive than iv but is still effective.
 
Re: Contemplating Dentures at 28 - Can't afford (or tolerate) expensive treatments!

I've had a year of dental problems and actually begged my dentist to extract all my teeth and give me dentures - not because they're in bad nick, or need loads of work, but because I am scared of what will go wrong next. She refused flat out, for all the reasons mentioned above, and also because it would mean extracting a lot of healthy teeth based on a "what if?" scenario. I read somewhere that dentures are a substitute for being toothless, not a substitute for your teeth - I don't know if that's true or not, but I would do what I could in terms of keeping my own teeth in the first instance.
 
Re: Contemplating Dentures at 28 - Can't afford (or tolerate) expensive treatments!

Sunnylikesunshine90

I got bottom dentures at the age of 31. and it was a really really hard choice, due to bad dental experiences, parents who didn't encouragge oral health, and being a sweets junkie.. as well as being in a very abusive marriage where neither I nor my health mattered.. well I was in a really bad place and on medicid as well. I did finally find a young dentist who took medicaid and she helped me come to terms with getting this bottom denture as I couldn't afford the bridge and other care I needed and my finances were completely controlled by my abusive husband.. well.. it was best case scenario at the time. the dentures were better than my teeth I had and much more presentable. gave me better esteem .. but could I go back and be in a clearer space to see how I might make it work financially , I would definately try to do all I could to keep if you have a choice.. so it can work,, but if you can help it,,, and save your teeth its always the best option to do so..

I agree with rest if you can break it down the work into smaller amounts a little at a time , it might make it easier,? what about possible sliding fee places? Also.. they may have one by your area, this weekend they have one in my area called Mission of Mercy, a 2 day event in Minneapolis for free dental care, fillings, some root canals, cleaning, extractions, a bunch of dental care, anyone is welcome you do need to wait in line but its free care .. so maybe an event like this..might help with a few fillings or so...anything you can do to save them..

I wish you the best in your journey!! no matter what you decide I also would be put off by the place that never got back to you and wasn't going to tell you about the nitrous.. would think that is a bit of a red flag and you deserve good compassionate competant care!! I would try to find someone you are comfortable with believe me ... I finally did.. and its worth it...they are out there.. Also i think it is awesome you are really thinking about this and considering the options and processing through this and getting all the help you are!!

let us know how it all processes..we are here for you!
 
Back
Top