• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Could a person be prone to having cavities getting worse faster then an average person?

G

gamergirl123

Former Member
Could a person be prone to having cavities getting worse faster then an average person?

b4 I post the rest of my Q, here's a little history on my mouth: Was a tooth grinder when I was young and had to get silver caps on some teeth(got papoosed and laughing gas) and the dentist mom used failed to warn us about it affecting adult teeth. Went years w/o seeing a dentist thanks to a major phobia of dentists(gee I wonder why). Went this past march 31st and got dragged into a dental journey against my will(if I would of had it my way, I would of used an iv sedation guy one city over).

Got 7 top extractions in april, about 7 or 8 bottom extractions plus upper and lower partials in May plus a couple fillings this past wednesday. thankfully with the exception of the lower partials being a bit of a problem, things have gone ok. I also have shorter teeth then an average person and family history of dental issues on moms side, unknown on dads. Both grandparents on her side had full dentures, mom has full dentures, an aunt has uppers, and not sure on if there's other cases.

I'm doing my best to brush 2x a day, using Colgate triple action toothpaste and a kids mouthwash(I am planning on switching to an adults brand after my current bottle is used up), and do my best to remember to floss. While I do drink some soda, I also drink a lot of flavored water mixes that are no or low cal, sodium free, and low or no sugar(More often then not, sugar free) and while I do have a love of chocolate milk from time to time, it tends to be made with sugar free syrup more often then regular syrup and I use 2%.

Now for the Question segment:
I have one tooth that had a couple little dimples and one with a weird colored spot that have recently started to look like they are starting to try and form a cavity or something right where the weird areas are and it seems to be progressing a teeny tiny bit almost by the day. However, it seems like it's going a little faster then an average persons case and thinking back, I had a back tooth that went from zero to shot(shot as in extraction, bye bye, no salvaging it) kind of fast and an upper back that went from zero to filling within a couple months also. Are some people just prone to faster cavity development then others or could it just be my imagination?

I know that I should be bringing this up with my dentist but the problem is that the previous 2 fillings were prepaids but we currently have to get caught up on bills b4 we'd start possibly trekking back to the office and figuring out what to do so I figured i'd ask for thoughts here in the meantime. Yes, as soon as we can afford it, we'll be heading there to see whats going on.

Now for a vent that I have to get of my chest b4 I explode: this sucks! I just spent the better part of 3 months with my life revolving around dentist visits/waiting for appointments. I've had to deal with the initial visit, deep cleaning, molds, 2 rounds of extractions, 2 visits regarding the upper partial, FOUR with the lower partial(one adjustment, one adjustment/molds for new one, one trial fit, and one getting the new one), and cavity filling session and things had finally started looking up. the LAST thing I want to do is begin heading back for another appointment over there. Don't get me wrong, the nurses are really nice and the dentist is a cutie pie but I still had more then enough trips out therefor the moment.

Would I just love to wait until December to get this checked out(month of my scheduled check up or whatever it's called)? You bet! However, if I've already had one tooth go from nothing to cavity to crapped out and one go from nothing to cavity to filling, both only taking a couple months each to happen, the odds are that if it is cavities on the wonky looking areas, this would have to be taking care of sooner then later since i'd rather not have it go through 2 extractions and remolding for new partials.

Re: Could a person be prone to having cavities getting worse faster then an average person?

I'm not a dentist, but I think that the answer is 'yes', some people are more prone to cavities than others. Along with good dental hygiene a prescription high fluoride toothpaste can help; ask your dentist if it's an option for you.

I'm sorry you've had problems with your teeth.

Re: Could a person be prone to having cavities getting worse faster then an average person?

thing is i'm already using a floride toothpaste and mouthwash and I kind of want to avoid going a high fluoride route since there are reports that to much fluoride could do more harm then good.

hopefully i'll catch a break eventually. :mad::mad::mad:

thing is i'm already using a floride toothpaste and mouthwash and I kind of want to avoid going a high fluoride route since there are reports that to much fluoride could do more harm then good.

hopefully i'll catch a break eventually. :mad::mad::mad:

Well yes too much fluoride is toxic with about the same acute toxicity as Vitamin D but you see in your case too little fluoride has also caused you damage.

Back