• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cracked Temporary Filling - Advice needed!

E

ErinLl25

Last Tuesday I had a filling removed from a molar and temorary filling in place, preparing for an extraction in July/August. It has now been a couple of days and my temporary filling is cracked!!

It doesn't hurt but I can feel it move about. When I had went to get the filling taken out, it was extremely
traumatic and I don't feel brave enough just yet to go back. I know that temporary filling paste is available in Superdrug/Boots, but is it effective?

Any advice is helpful, Thanks :)

In curious why you'd have a filling put in a tooth that you're planning to extract... Though maybe I'm misunderstanding.

The tooth had a regualr filling prior to being told it had to be extracted, I had the filling removed and a new temporary filling as a replacement, I had asked to have the tooth extracted at the hospital as I would like to be under sedation.

I've never used the temp stuff. I have some that i bought once just in case, but I didn't need it. Gonpick some up if you are worried in case it gets worse and ask the office if it would be ok to use if you can wait till Monday. It may or may not help if the temp stuff wasn't able to stick. I doubt it would hurt if you are planning on removing the tooth anyway.

I had the exact same problem with my two molar teeth that were extracted a few days ago. They had broken off almost completely so no filling would hold for more than two weeks. After the third filling had fallen out my dentist told me to just leave it as long as I wasn't in pain. I went a whole of 5 months without a filling in one molar tooth, and 3 months without a filling in the other before they were removed. It was annoying because food kept getting stuck in there and since I'm anal about that sort of thing I carried a toothbrush with me wheverever I went but I had no pain. I'd leave it the way it is as long as it doesn't hurt. Since the tooth is going to be extracted anyway there isn't much more damage you can do. Just keep the holey tooth clean.

Back