• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown fallen out dentist wont replace

  • Thread starter Thread starter moggyjo
  • Start date Start date
moggyjo

moggyjo

Junior member
Joined
Jan 25, 2008
Messages
10
Hello, one of my crowns fell out and dentist said she could not replace it as the tooth has rotted, she said all I could have done privatly (I'm exempt on NHS) is to have tooth screwed into bone which would cost around £2500.
Is that really the only option. Its a very visable gap when I smile, probably why a crown was put there in the first place.
I'm on a very low income, is there any help out there please.:(
 
Don't mean to make light of your predicament, but if I were given that price I think the rest of my teeth would drop out (if they hadn't already that is). So sorry, if I were you I'd get another opinion. I know it's not the same sort of thing, but you'd never have building work done without getting a few estimates.
 
my bridge unit will cost 3150.00 *US Dollars*.SDo that is high for 1 crown!second opinion it!!!!!!!
 
I don't know for sure but I think she is suggesting you have an
implant (these are not available on the NHS as far as I know) so she is correct. However I would have thought you'd be able to get a partial/tooth on a plate under the NHS to fill the gap????
Also is a bridge not possible if the teeth either side are ok?
Gordon will know for sure, although there are slight differences between Scotland and England on NHS regulations.
 
She did not mention a Bridge, the single tooth next to the gap! is another crown (still in Place) I'm worried that will fall out now when I'm eating, with nothing there to support it and a double tooth the other side.
She told me my gums and all my teeth are rotton because I smoke. I don't have any problems with my gums that I know of and apart from one other tooth I have a problem with, I think the rest are OK ish. I used to go to the dentist every 6 months untill my old dentist went private, so that probably helped although that was a while ago now.
 
Presumably the teeth on either side aren't OK enough to support a bridge, which would leave a partial denture as the only option. The NHS will certainly provide you with one of those.
 
Back
Top