• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown on canine teeth

F

Flamingor78

Hi,

I just got implant on both my lateral incisors a month ago because they were rootcanaled and beyond repair. I am planning to also replace the crowns on centrals the same time when i got crowns on the implants.

My dentist suggested getting crowns on both my canines for aesthetics purpose. My canines are not balanced (in height) and one of them has shifted a bit. However I am having doubt on shaving these two teeth eventho both have fillings on them. I am hoping to get some input before getting my impressions sometime in January.

Thanks..

-Phobic but one step at a time.

Not sure what you want to know? Sorry if I'm being a bit stupid!

Sorry Dr Gordon, it was midnight when I wrote my post 😅. I am having doubt about crowning my canines for cosmetic purpose since it will requires shaving down the teeth.

1. Does crowning the teeth affect its life expentency (vs non crowned tooth)? I wouldnt want to replace the crown every 10 years or so.

Thanks for answering this.

Does crowning the teeth affect its life expentency (vs non crowned tooth)? I wouldnt want to replace the crown every 10 years or so.
Yes it does, but the big question is by how much :) Answer is probably not a lot :)

It's unlikely that you'd need to replace a modern crown in 10 years.

Bear in mind that doing a crown prep is quite traumatic for the tooth, there's always a chance that it may become non-vital after (the nerve dies, leading to a root canal).

You need to weigh up the risks versus the benefits, is there a less invasive way to get the result you want, e.g. bleaching, composite build up, veneer etc instead of crowning.

Back