• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crowning a root canal retreatment

C

Cinkat84

Hi everyone,

New member here. I am a super anxious dental patient who recently had a super scary experience at the dentist for a root canal retreatment. I’m in my late thirties and haven’t taken care of my teeth as I should have so I don’t really have a set dentist. I recently completed my root canal retreatment by an Endo at a dental practice. The tooth is very small and I only have about 20 percent tooth structure left so it’s basically all filling but it’s done thankfully. The experience was very rushed and painful. The dental injections were shoved in so quickly without any topical like 5 times so I’m really traumatized at this point. I also had to wait in the waiting area for 40 minutes shaking to get the rest of the root canal filled by the dentist. I mean they were nice to me but it was traumatizing. I’ve cancelled two appointments there to start crown prep cause I’m so terrified. I can’t even walk in. I have a consult with a dentist who does same day Cerec crowns on Monday who kindly offers inhaled sedation. My question is, is it risky to switch dentists to get a crown put on? I feel bad about switching and am anxious that something can go wrong as it’s a different practice all together.

I forgot to mention I now have lockjaw I’m guessing from the injections into my back jaw

No, it's not risky to switch dentists. After that experience I wouldn't blame you either.

I was shaking through the whole thing. They did a great job to save my tooth but i am terrified to go back. I just want to find a dentist I can trust :(

I’m not sure if my root canal triggered my impacted wisdoms to start moving but I am in a lot of pain in my jaw :(

It's probably more that your TMJ is moaning about having your mouth open for a long time, possibly with the added trauma of a few injections near the site.

Try either ice packs or heat packs on the painful area for a bit, with maybe some Ibuprofen if you can take it. Limit how wide you open your mouth for a few days e.g. if yawning, cut up your food small and eat in small mouthfulls.

Even after a few weeks though? My back gums hurt, my jaw hurts everything hurts. I found a new dentist who seems lovely who is putting my first crown on tomorrow ... I need too. My poo jaw is not going to like that. I’m 37 with all my wisdoms. None of them bother me except the one side where I have the teeth needing all the work so I’m not sure. It could be the tmj from the jaw being open.

I will try those. Thanks for those suggestions

Back