• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crowning a root-canaled tooth that still is sensitive. Am I doing the right thing?

B

beatrice

Crowning a root-canaled tooth that still is sensitive. Am I doing the right thing?

This is advice from my dentist and endodontist.

I have a root canal on tooth 14 a couple months ago. It has been sensitve ever since. I've called the endodotists office a few times, and the receptionist always says it's normal to feel some sensitivity, and that it can sometimes take several months to fully heal.
I had delayed crowning it because of the sensitivity, but was advised to crown it or else it could get reinfected. This advice from the receptionist/nurse of the endodontist. For whatever reason, I can never talk to the endodontist directly - even during my visits, I barely had the chance to ask questions.
I go to my dentist, tell her my tooth is still sensitvive after two months, but she felt it was ok right to crown my tooth, based on the endodontist's instruction.
Currently, I have a temporary crown, and am suppose to get the permanant crown fitted on July 2nd. My tooth is still sensitive.
Why is the tooth sensitivity not an issue to the dentist and endodontist.

They're the professionals/experts, so I'm following their instructions, but it just doesn't seem right...

Re: Crowning a root-canaled tooth that still is sensitive. Am I doing the right thing?

Seeing you're paying them for their expertise, why don't you ask them this directly? They're in possession of all the facts and have your x-rays, everything from here would be guess work.

Re: Crowning a root-canaled tooth that still is sensitive. Am I doing the right thing?

The endodontist says I may need an apicoetomy (sp?) to get at the roots from the top. The dentist is aware this also.

I scheduled to have the crown put on July 2nd. The dentist says it shouldn't be a problem because if I need the apicoetomy, the crown will not be affected since the procedure involves going in through the gums.

My thinking is that since my tooth is still sensitive that I will need this apicoectomy. Should I delay crowning even though the dentist says it ok.

I would delay the crown until after the apicectomy if it was my tooth.

Back