• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cyst at root tip & root canal treatment (X-RAY attached)

conqueringfears

conqueringfears

Hi! So I posted here the other day about my retreatment on Thursday. I have had an asymptomatic cyst at my root tip for who knows how long. It was detected on an X-Ray. Everything that I have read about cyst removal is surgical. The endo said he would go in and see what it was like, then do the retreatment and prescribe meds maybe. I have a photo of the "void space" here.
  • Why didn't he mention surgical removal? Is it because of.... (next point below.)
  • Could the cyst be cleared up and healed with the root canal retreatment and antibiotics?
  • What if the root canal retreatment is successful but the cyst remains?

Attachments

• 283762389_5342718932415241_2986145290990388556_n.jpg
    283762389_5342718932415241_2986145290990388556_n.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Can anyone help? ☹️

The area might not be an actual cyst, you can't tell from an x-ray. A successful retreatment would clear it up if it was a bit of chronic infection from the root canal, not an actual cyst.
Then you'd be looking at a choice of:
1) Apicectomy to surgically remove it
2) Leave it alone but check it by x-ray roughly annually to see if it's growing or otherwise changing and then re-evaluate.
3) Extract the tooth

@Gordon Okay, that's good to hear. Well it's good to hear that it can be treated. I really don't want to lose this tooth, but it can't survive without a crown anyway.

When you say it can't be shown by X-RAY, how could that be determined? Once they go in tomorrow to do the retreatment?

Or is it a waiting game after the retreatment? They won't be able to access that area during the root canal where the infection is?

@Gordon Okay, that's good to hear. Well it's good to hear that it can be treated. I really don't want to lose this tooth, but it can't survive without a crown anyway.

When you say it can't be shown by X-RAY, how could that be determined? Once they go in tomorrow to do the retreatment?

Or is it a waiting game after the retreatment? They won't be able to access that area during the root canal where the infection is?

Diagnosis is a bit complicated and involves looking at lots of things, including multiple x-rays over a long period, and/or physically going and and looking at the area during apicectomy.
Yes, it's a waiting game. They can't access the area but if the retreatment is successful it will prevent more bacteria getting into the area and your body's defences will clear it up.

@Gordon thanks so much I really appreciate it. My appointment is in an hour and a half I’m so nervous. Thanks for your help.

How did it go?

@Gordon it went well! He said there was nothing coming out during the procedure like drainage or pus. He cleaned it well and said I come back in 6 months to check on it. He said the infection may or may not “wake up” and if it does, he prescribed antibiotics. He said most of the infection was at two of the root tips. Now we wait to watch.

I am pretty sore today. And I feel
swollen, but I’m not swollen haha. Ironically, my lower jaw area and near my ear hurt, even though it was done on #3. Along with my sinuses are all bothering on that side. But I’m happy it’s over for now.

I go back on June 13th for laser crown lengthening and a crown. I’m nervous for that one, but I think I’ll be okay.

Great, thanks for updating. The ear/lower jaw thing is probably your TMJ complaining due to your mouth being super wide open for an extended time during the treatment, it should clear up soon.

Hi @conqueringfears , I hope you’re keeping well. I am going through similar to you - my x ray looks just like yours although my cyst / abscess / inflamed area is larger. Alike to you, I have had a root canal done on the tooth and have had the infection cleared from the tooth that way, but have been told that the rest of the infection will only clear with time, as the immune system clears it up.
At the moment it’s been seven weeks since my root canal surgery was performed, and I’m still experiencing a lot of symptoms, not around the tooth itself but pain in some of the other teeth / mouth area and also a lot in my neck and upper back / shoulders. I also have the more systemic symptoms of fatigue, body aches etc, that I’ve had for a while with the infection. Is this something you’ve experienced at all? And @Gordon do you know if this is something I can expect to continue to experience for a long time as the immune system takes time to clear the infection up? My endodontist said it could be a year before the inflamed area in the gum begins to shrink.

Thanks so much in advance!

And @Gordon do you know if this is something I can expect to continue to experience for a long time as the immune system takes time to clear the infection up?
To be honest, I wouldn't expect it at all, but everyone's body has a different response to challenges like this.

@Gordon thanks for checking in! I appreciate it. :)

@JJC Hi! I am sorry for my late response.

I hope you are well! With this tooth I have mostly been symptom free. The biggest issue I have had is gum swelling, small amount of bleeding around the tooth. Maybe you can boost up your immune system with some supplements and vitamins to see if that helps. I truly believe that infection can manifest other bodily symptoms sometimes. Perhaps you could also get in for a general health check up too, maybe it's unrelated? I wish you well. Keep us posted.

Back