• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Daughter needs two baby teeth extracted

M

MountainMama

The orthodontist told us yesterday that my daughter needs to have both upper canines extracted (baby teeth), as the permanent ones are starting to lay sideways. He is hoping to prevent surgery, because they could become impacted.

I managed an appointment last year, where she had one baby tooth extracted, because her permanent lateral incisor grew in on the wrong side of the canine baby tooth.

My issue is that this one is a repeat of what I went through as a kid. I had my baby canines extracted, but still ended up with impacted teeth and had to have surgery. The extractions were traumatic and painful (not enough anesthetic).

I am struggling with this one. I am trying to be chipper for my daughter. She was terrified the last time for the shots, but did okay with the actual extraction. Now she knows what to expect and is already panicking about the shots, and the pain after extraction, which is causing me anxiety that I am trying to hide.

We haven't scheduled it yet. The orthodontist is going to send the information to the dentist, and then they will call us to schedule

Hi,

Impacted tooth is a multi-factorial condition, it is influenced by genetics and also other factors. The fact that your canines got eventually impacted does not necessarily mean that your daughter’s also will.
Dentistry as changed tremendously over the last few decades (Thanks god for that). It is not only the technology that improved (for example: computerized local anesthetics) but also the dentists’ understanding and conviction about patient’s comfort and well-being. I am certain that a pedodontist will provide your daughter a positive experience.
what I am actually trying to say is that you can and should distinguish between what happened to you and what will happen with your daughter. Naturally you want to protect her from having the bad experience you had and I am certain you will succeed doing so.

Hi,

Impacted tooth is a multi-factorial condition, it is influenced by genetics and also other factors. The fact that your canines got eventually impacted does not necessarily mean that your daughter’s also will.
Dentistry as changed tremendously over the last few decades (Thanks god for that). It is not only the technology that improved (for example: computerized local anesthetics) but also the dentists’ understanding and conviction about patient’s comfort and well-being. I am certain that a pedodontist will provide your daughter a positive experience.
what I am actually trying to say is that you can and should distinguish between what happened to you and what will happen with your daughter. Naturally you want to protect her from having the bad experience you had and I am certain you will succeed doing so.

Thank you. I know I am being irrational, but it is really hard to not look at her situation with my own experience in mind. We don't have a pediatric dentist in this area, but our general dentist is good with kids, so I do believe he will do a good job. She has seen him for a cleaning once. He isn't one to withhold anesthetic, so she won't be in pain like I was. That makes me feel much better.

I do understand that she may not end up with impacted teeth...I am very grateful that the orthodontist caught this now!

I just don't want her to end up with the same fears I have. She is already much braver than I was at her age!

Thanks for reminding me that dentistry has changed a LOT. I need to keep reminding myself of that.

Is there a chance they could use nitrous to help her relax and make things less stressful? The benefit of nitrous is that I think it also has some effect on memory so she may not remember as much of the experience afterward.

Is there a chance they could use nitrous to help her relax and make things less stressful? The benefit of nitrous is that I think it also has some effect on memory so she may not remember as much of the experience afterward.

They don't offer nitrous at our dentist. I looked into taking her elsewhere, but insurance won't cover anything at the only pediatric dentist in the vicinity (which is an hour away). I asked, and she is allowed to bring her earbuds and tablet, to play music, so that is good.

Plus, the orthodontist works with our dentist closely, and he recommends him. So I hate to switch dentists. If she ever needs dental surgery in the future, I will definitely take her to my oral surgeon, who does offer nitrous, plus he is awesome with kids. I looked into getting the teeth extracted there, but insurance won't cover it, since it is baby teeth. Something about it isn't a surgical extraction. Through our dentist, half is covered.

Mountainmama.

You are an awesome mom and are doing so amazing.. You definately are looking into things and getting her best care you can! it really is nerve wracking to bring our kids to get work done, where we've had rough experiences in the past , I nearly ran out the door at the thought of getting my sons cavity filled having like a flashback of mine at his age as the dentist was talking about it. After like 2 days I calmed down thinking... ok . this dentist is different , we are in a safe place this time, and has to come back to my rationality. Sounds like she is in good hands, alot of plus's its not easy at all. I hope it goes so well.. How is she doing with the thought of the extration?

Ok so my middle daughter the one with braces has had baby teeth extracted but was facing a possible permanent tooth extraction. We ended up not choosing to extract the permanent tooth knowing we would need to extract the wisdom teeth.
Anyhow. We talked to our family dentist (he extracted a couple of hers there) and he said he would possibly do the permanent tooth extraction depending on the films (I think) his reasoning was that he didn’t want to scar her emotionally. I really appreciated that. I guess the teeth in question maybe can be hard to extract. If he didn’t think he could do it easily he would have sent her to an oral
Surgeon.
So the baby teeth came out just fine. I’m a “bad mom” and sent her back alone. She was probably 10 at the time. She did great. Went in smiling. Came out smiling. She had no nitrous just the shot.
I had teeth out for braces and it was so bad the dentist had to make in incision in my gum to get the tooth out. Not sure if it’s the same tooth.
So I think Dr Daniel is right. Dentistry has come a long way. Our kids are in better hands because of this.
Hang in there. I know exactly how you’re feeling. This stuff is so hard!

Mountainmama.

You are an awesome mom and are doing so amazing.. You definately are looking into things and getting her best care you can! it really is nerve wracking to bring our kids to get work done, where we've had rough experiences in the past , I nearly ran out the door at the thought of getting my sons cavity filled having like a flashback of mine at his age as the dentist was talking about it. After like 2 days I calmed down thinking... ok . this dentist is different , we are in a safe place this time, and has to come back to my rationality. Sounds like she is in good hands, alot of plus's its not easy at all. I hope it goes so well.. How is she doing with the thought of the extration?

She kept saying "no, no, no" when the orthodontist said she needed them out, but when he explained that it would possibly prevent surgery later, she calmed down. She obviously isn't thrilled, and she said she was going to wiggle the teeth like crazy between now and then, to see if she can get them loose. Lol

Ok so my middle daughter the one with braces has had baby teeth extracted but was facing a possible permanent tooth extraction. We ended up not choosing to extract the permanent tooth knowing we would need to extract the wisdom teeth.
Anyhow. We talked to our family dentist (he extracted a couple of hers there) and he said he would possibly do the permanent tooth extraction depending on the films (I think) his reasoning was that he didn’t want to scar her emotionally. I really appreciated that. I guess the teeth in question maybe can be hard to extract. If he didn’t think he could do it easily he would have sent her to an oral
Surgeon.
So the baby teeth came out just fine. I’m a “bad mom” and sent her back alone. She was probably 10 at the time. She did great. Went in smiling. Came out smiling. She had no nitrous just the shot.
I had teeth out for braces and it was so bad the dentist had to make in incision in my gum to get the tooth out. Not sure if it’s the same tooth.
So I think Dr Daniel is right. Dentistry has come a long way. Our kids are in better hands because of this.
Hang in there. I know exactly how you’re feeling. This stuff is so hard!

My daughter is 11, and I am going to ask her if she wants to go back alone. I doubt she will, but it is possible. I think she will just want me to hold her hand for the shots. I can handle that. I may just stay back for that, and "take a little walk" while she has the extractions. I am guessing they will do two separate appointments, since they are on opposite sides.

My extractions as a kid were horrible. Not enough anesthetic, and the dentist kept telling me it was just pressure, not pain when I cried and said it hurt. Plus I remember all the tugging and yanking, and twisting. Our dentist now doesn't do that. The last extraction was super easy, so these should be also.

That’s a good plan. My daughter had already had one pulled by the orthodontist. To be fair it was very loose And they didn’t numb her because she didn’t need it so it wasn’t actual exctraction. I was there when they asked me if they could do it. I said yes. She said no but we talked her into it. And it came out in a second or two. But because she had that experience under her belt
I think she felt confident going into the procedure with the dentist. The other man in the waiting room commented how he was more scared of his dental procedure whatever it was then my daughter was of hers. It was sweet. and it reminds you of how sweet and trusting kids are. I think that’s why we feel this stuff so heavily.

The dentist called today, and it is scheduled for December 10th. Our dentist is booked through January, so she has to see a new dentist that was hired not long ago, just out of dental school. I don't feel so confident now, as I have no idea how this young dentist will be with kids. I did ask the receptionist to put my daughter on the cancellation list for our usual dentist.

Can you stop by the office and meet the new dentist and talk with them before then to get a feel? I do know working in patient scheduling people reschedule for all kinds of reasons, we get several a day, there will hopefully be a spot that comes available for your dentist you feel comfortable with!

Can you stop by the office and meet the new dentist and talk with them before then to get a feel? I do know working in patient scheduling people reschedule for all kinds of reasons, we get several a day, there will hopefully be a spot that comes available for your dentist you feel comfortable with!

I actually ran in today to drop off a payment and met the new dentist. She is really young, and seems all business. She is not married and does not have kids, so I hope she can be sympathetic to fears. I don't want to make assumptions but I didn't get the best vibes. I brought up my fear and my daughter's fear of the shots and she kind of brushed it off saying it was a simple procedure. :(

I am going to really be hoping for a cancellation with the usual dentist.

Good for you going and meeting her, go with your gut Mountainmama.. that type of personality would cause me concern too, especially with kids.. you need a lot of patience.. to give kids a good stress free ,fear free experience.

Good for you going and meeting her, go with your gut Mountainmama.. that type of personality would cause me concern too, especially with kids.. you need a lot of patience.. to give kids a good stress free ,fear free experience.

I am debating asking if my daughter can meet her, and letting her decide if she is comfortable or not. She is 11, but is very opinionated so she wouldn't hesitate to be honest. She may be just fine, as she tends to stick up for herself, rather than freezing like I do.

That might be a good idea. Actually one time an old dentist switched my son last minute to his partner... freaked me out a bit and his partner had a sort of weird, nervous type energy, and even said Oops a few times .. it was just sealant.. he over sealed and had to drill some off? but.. I was so nervous watching the whole thing...(I'm catastrophizing in my head what the 2 oops were and imagining him drilling half my sons tooth off) My son.. he was fine with the whole thing and didn't think it was a big deal. You never know how much they can handle or how they might cope with something that would be totally different for us.

Maybe I missed something, but is there a reason this has to be completed before February 2020 (insurance calendar year thing, the teeth are bothering your daughter, etc.)? If not I don't see why you couldn't re-book the appointment with your normal dentist for sometime in 2020 and ask to stay on the cancellation list.

No matter what ends up happening scheduling wise, I hope things go well for you and your daughter. It's very easy to picture the worst, especially when you have your own bad experiences. However, it sounds like you trust your dentist and its most likely your daughter will have a much easier time with this.

Maybe I missed something, but is there a reason this has to be completed before February 2020 (insurance calendar year thing, the teeth are bothering your daughter, etc.)? If not I don't see why you couldn't re-book the appointment with your normal dentist for sometime in 2020 and ask to stay on the cancellation list.

No matter what ends up happening scheduling wise, I hope things go well for you and your daughter. It's very easy to picture the worst, especially when you have your own bad experiences. However, it sounds like you trust your dentist and its most likely your daughter will have a much easier time with this.

Sorry, I didn't clarify that. The orthodontist wants the teeth out as soon as possible, to prevent impaction. She has her next ortho appointment in February and he wanted to see if there was any progress on the permanent canines once the baby ones were out. The December appointment was the earliest available.

I am probably seeing everything through my own fears, and my daughter will most likely handle it just fine.

Back