• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Decayed tooth / anxiety right now

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tiger5
  • Start date Start date
T

Tiger5

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2025
Messages
28
Location
Australia
Hey guys, first time poster , but been reading posts for some time. I have a very badly decayed bottom back molar. It needs to be removed. Saw a dentist 3 weeks ago, they said definitely needs extraction. Was on a course of antibiotics but because pain went away I canceled my extraction appt (real bad dentist phobia) since then I have seen a sleep dentist & given quote & antibiotic script in the mean time before my extraction appt. Right now I’m freaking out.

I started the antibiotics yesterday morn amoxicillin clavulanic acid antibiotics & the side of my face side of jaw looks slightly swollen not very noticeable but to me I can tell… I have pain but not off the charts pain or anything, I feel a dull throb. I could fall asleep soon (just trying to describe correctly ) .. the pain is noticeable I can feel it in my jaw under where the bad tooth is. Is it going to do something very bad to me? I have a big health anxiety issue of “worst case scenarios”.. I am having the tooth extracted next week (it’s Saturday now) but is it going to ki** me ??? or stop me from being able to breath or swallow ????
These are my fears

.. if something bad Was Happning due to my tooth WOULD I know??? I’m scared pls help me with any knowledge I do not want to Google because I know it will give me scare & I’ll end up ringing an ambo thinking something is happening to me! The tooth is bad, it’s only half the tooth & has black bits for a long long time as I cracked it yrs ago trying to open a sauce bottle lid :( it’s obviously decayed n got worse over the yrs… I’m just worried it’s going to make something happen to me bad…. I need help to know it’s not. I’m on 2nd day antibiotics & it’s 7pm on Saturday night… I feel worried! Thanks 🙏🏼
 
Hi, there's no reason to panic, this is not going to kill you. Obviously, if you were to suddenly experience a lot of pain and swelling, go to ER, but this is a very unlikely scenario. And yes, you would know if it was an emergency, as you'd be in unmistakable pain.

You can find out more here:


Wishing you all the best for your appointment next week, and let us know how you got on :)
 
@letsconnect well I didn’t go, I cancelled, it was my sons 3rd birthday coming up and I just couldn’t bring myself to go due to thinking about recovery and all while it was my sons bday… I’m still dealing with the bad molars …. I am definitely getting them removed within the next couple of weeks .
 
Back
Top