• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Decaying tooth and other problems

B

BenjiInMd

This is my first post here after finding this forum last night.

I haven't seen a dentist in about 11 years, mostly because I lost my insurance and then anxiety became a bigger factor. The other day I scraped what I thought was a piece of food off a back molar but turned out to be a piece of the molar instead. Upon further inspection, I can see black decay behind where the piece of tooth was, directly along the gumline. I don't have any pain or discomfort there as of yet, but I also don't want to just use that a reason not to go. I brush twice a day and use a water like(which is a new habit) but still feel like my gums are in bad shape.

I'm looking for some opinions or thoughts on my situation and what to maybe expect. A part of me keeps trying to convince myself to wait until it hurts and work on the other teeth with brushing etc. I've found a dentist office I think I'd like to try and I'm just hesitating to pull the trigger because I'm afraid getting this one tooth fixed is really just a gateway to how much other work I may need.

Thanks for reading

Hi and welcome!
Please consider making that appointment. You may not need as much work as you fear, but you will have answers. You can always get the worst problems worked on first - so it’s not necessarily a gateway for more work. And believe me, you don’t want to wait until you’re in pain.

Thanks for the welcome! I know that you're right and my anxiety is just taking over, it's also been years since I went to a dentist and I'm afraid of what else they'll find. Is it common to just have the most pressing issue address and then go from there ?

Hi and welcome!
Please consider making that appointment. You may not need as much work as you fear, but you will have answers. You can always get the worst problems worked on first - so it’s not necessarily a gateway for more work. And believe me, you don’t want to wait until you’re in pain.

Thanks for the welcome! I know that you're right and my anxiety is just taking over, it's also been years since I went to a dentist and I'm afraid of what else they'll find. Is it common to just have the most pressing issue address and then go from there ?

Absolutely. Whatever is the most important to address they will do that first.

I don’t know if it’s common, but it never hurts to ask. Remember, you are in control and if you’re not happy with the services you receive it’s your right to choose another dentist. Be up front with them either when you make the appointment or at the initial consultation that you’re main concern is the decayed molar.
Every one of us here understands how you’re feeling right now. A lot of people are dealing with making that first appointment and the fear of what they’ll find. For me it’s always better if I know what I’m dealing with and what the solution is so I can prepare myself. I know how hard that first step is. But I hope you can get things sorted out before you are in pain.

I don’t know if it’s common, but it never hurts to ask. Remember, you are in control and if you’re not happy with the services you receive it’s your right to choose another dentist. Be up front with them either when you make the appointment or at the initial consultation that you’re main concern is the decayed molar.
Every one of us here understands how you’re feeling right now. A lot of people are dealing with making that first appointment and the fear of what they’ll find. For me it’s always better if I know what I’m dealing with and what the solution is so I can prepare myself. I know how hard that first step is. But I hope you can get things sorted out before you are in pain.

Thank you for the understanding. I think the biggest step for me is making the call, which I haven't been able to do yet

Back