• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep cleanings

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kristina555
  • Start date Start date
K

Kristina555

Junior member
Joined
Jul 24, 2019
Messages
3
Location
Oregon usa
I have deep cleanings coming up, where they go under your gums. Do they I inject behind your teeth or in the roof of your mouth? Is the numbing gel inserted into the pocket sufficient?
 
Hi Kristina,

as far as I know, the gel is sufficient in many cases, if not, there is the possibility of numbing in the usual way. I am not sure about the roof of the mouth but there is such an amount of people positively surprised about how easy their deep cleaning well, that I believe the roof of the mouth won't be numbed. We have a good article about deep cleaning here, you can find a lot of details about the procedure there.

All the best wishes
 
Kristina,

Welcome to DFC! I had my first deep cleaning 2 years ago and was very scared and also worried about the anesthetic. My dentist first gave me topical and they wanted to give me the local so they would make sure I was comfortable the whole time, so he very slowly gave me injections in that area I didn't feel them at all after the topical was applied. I'm really glad I had the shots as I only felt one slight pain and they immediately gave me more local then no more. and my teeth felt great after. a little sensitive but they felt better! My hygenist had the patience and bedside manner of a total saint.. so that helped alot!
 
Kristina,

Welcome to DFC! I had my first deep cleaning 2 years ago and was very scared and also worried about the anesthetic. My dentist first gave me topical and they wanted to give me the local so they would make sure I was comfortable the whole time, so he very slowly gave me injections in that area I didn't feel them at all after the topical was applied. I'm really glad I had the shots as I only felt one slight pain and they immediately gave me more local then no more. and my teeth felt great after. a little sensitive but they felt better! My hygenist had the patience and bedside manner of a total saint.. so that helped alot!
Thanks for your reply. Did they do the backs of your teeth or the roof of your mouth?
 
They may have, I don't remember the back I definately remember the front and for sure they did not do the roof.
 
It wasn't bad at all. She used the numbing gel(oraquix?). I asked her halfway through if she was even going under the gums. I didn't need injections. First she used this device that sounded like a drill, but it wasn't bad. Then she manually scraped, which was intense. I'm not worried about the rest of the appointments.
 
Back
Top