• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Abscess

A

awxx

Hello all, I am glad to find this website and see that I am not alone in my fear of the dentist and the journey of overcoming it. I know that I will not get the exact answer I am looking for without getting a proper exam and x-rays but your opinions are very welcome and wanted!

I have been freaking out because there is a pus filled bump on my gums, located on the bottom set of molars on the right, basically below the "bridge" area, pretty far away from the gumline of the molar but closer to the apex. I am sure it is an abscess but I always go to the worst case scenario first. Its been more of a emotional pain than a physical pain :shame:

I have read the symptoms and I hope this helps with your opinion, here is my checklist...

• No Pain (acute or otherwise)
  • No swelling in jaw...glands...or on gums around said pimple
  • No Fever
  • No Fatigue or Malaise (would never know it was even present in my mouth)
  • No Bad Taste in Mouth
  • No Bad Breath
  • No Nausea
  • No sensitivity to Cold or Hot
  • No sensitivity to pressure (I can eat and chew normally, from yogurt to almonds).

• I do however have this pus filled pimple on my gums that obviously oozes pus through the day and night as well as a little blood.
  • I do feel a little pressure like there is fluid under the gums and next to my teeth.

I have been on google too much for my own good the past few weeks and have read that it may have formed a fistula for drainage. If this is an abscess, how long do I have to collect the funds for treatment? I cannot just walk into the dentist next week and get it taken care of with no insurance. I am more afraid of the possible pain from this than any dental procedure. Your feedback is more than greatly appreciated with this conundrum!

If.it is a chronic.absess there may be no pain or.additional symptoms because it's draining through that blister. Even if it's not an absess if you have a puss filled bump something is definitely infected/going on and it's unlikely to resolve on its own.

Thanks for your reply! I need to get the courage to call the dentist now...just do not know if I can yet. The abscess under a badly decaying bottom wisdom tooth even under the gum line, need to have it extracted probably. Extraction is my worst fear, had a horrible experience with getting a bottom molar in my early teens. Promised myself never again! All those bad memories of that day have been coming back...

No worries I get it it took me years to finally call and I have done some treatment even. I can actually say I am one filling away from no cavities now which will be happening next week. I had a chronic draining absess for the last few of those years before seeking help and it's totally gone now. Whether it was related to one of my extractions or the root canal I'm not sure bit it is really really nice not having it anymore good luck on your journey!!

Back