• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Sedation for Multiple Extractions

  • Thread starter Thread starter nancykuz
  • Start date Start date
N

nancykuz

Junior member
Joined
May 22, 2013
Messages
1
Will oral surgeons generally agree to provide IV sedation when extracting seven teeth during one visit? Is this a reasonable request to make? I am anxious about having all of my remaining upper teeth extracted in order to get an immediate denture. I think I would like to receive more than novacaine. I have my consultation with the oral surgeon in a couple of weeks and I would appreciate any advise I can receive.
 
Hello,
I think when you go to see an oral surgeon you can choose whatever kind of anesthesia you want. At least I did. I chose twilight sleep once and G.A. once..Both times I was only having 4 teeth removed.. So you can choose I.V sedation for 7 teeth...Good luck with your new teeth! It will be fine..
 
But would that patient need someone to stay with them for the first 24 hours? This really concerns me, I don't have anyone to do this
 
You should have a responsible adult to escort you/take you home and stay with you, ideally for the rest of the day (not 24 hours).

You can find some more information about IV sedation here:

 
But see, this doesn't help me
I don't have anyone
 
Will Dentist or Oral Surgeon agree to let me just have local freezing?
 
There's normally no reason why it couldn't be done with just local freezing or with nitrous oxide (which wears off very quickly thus allowing you to go home by yourself). The best person to discuss this with would be your dentist or your oral surgeon who will have seen the teeth and the x-rays - you're paying them for their advice and guidance! Make sure they're aware that you don't have anyone to escort you home or stay with you.

Wishing all the best for your consultation!
 
Thanks. Very helpful
 
Back
Top