E
ExtremeFear
Junior member
- Joined
- Jul 24, 2013
- Messages
- 19
Dentists: Is this letter too much to ask of a dentist before I allow treatment?
I have had every bad experience possible happen for dental work when I was younger. As a result for years I suffered, not allowing them to use LA at all. Instead I just got Nitrous Oxide, and had them crank it up as much as possible. I could still feel everything during the procedure but since my mind was somewhere else I didn't react physically. They always HATED to do that though, they wanted to jab me full of needles and have me deal with the pain once I was out of their office (as in post op pain from the needle). Most of my issues stem from the needle though (i ahve LA injected into a vein, directly into a nerve, and had haematomas)...but I also hate the clamp (dam) as I feel like I am suffocating and worry if I start to vomit (from the extreme fear) will I aspirate, and the drill too. I would actually be happy if they would work without the clamp.
I finally agreed to LA but with some restrictions that they had to agree upon. But I have dentists twice now betray my trust... This time I am planning on bringing a typewritten letter to be placed on my file and signed by me. This way I am hoping it will be a legal binding document. I am allowed to refuse treatment after all. So my question is, as a dentist do you think that these 3 requests are unreasonable? Could you work with these, knowing that your patient is taking a huge step even getting treatment? I don't think they are unreasonable...
1: Sedation as deep as possible with anterograde amnesia effect such as IV for ALL dental work (ensuring it lasts the full appt). I don't wish to try and overcome the fear. Even if I were to overcome it, the experience is still very unpleasant and its better to just not be aware of it. I wish to just 'sleep' the appt away like it almost never happened. Problem is, I have had IV sedation wear off prematurely before, leaving me aware of the last 30 min of the appt. It was because initially, she used 2 meds in the IV, one which caused the anterograde manesia effect but she only titrated with the other one. It was horrible because I came to with the clamp still on my face and I panicked. She kept injecting more stuff into the IV but it didnt put me back into lala land. I want them to titrate with the one that causes the anterograde amnesia (or use another method that will ensure the amnesia effect lasts the full apt.) Edit: Or... another alternative I just read on here in another post is to combine oral sedation along with nitrous oxide so that there is a synergistic effect. I have had oral sedation before and it did last the apt, but I wasn't 'under' enough. Would they consider the addition of the nitrous oxide in addition to Halcion (triazolam) so that I am more deeply sedated?
2: NO Inferior Alveolar Block. I have had some pretty bad experiences with this painful injection, which include trismus and prolonged jaw soreness post op, which has always resulted in missed time from work due to calling in sick for a few days to deal with it. I will agree to Peridontal Ligament Injections as alternative. In fact, I have had to forcefully have my jaw reopened after IAB before. I had kept my jaw shut for a week due to the stiffness and soreness and then I could no longer actually open it at all anymore even if I tried. (Dont suggest that I should have gently moved it to keep this from happening, as I won't do something that hurts) They had to use tongue depressors to forcefully open my jaw over the next week or so. It was H*LL. I have had a dentist agree to PDL injections but then as soon as I was under nitrous oxide she jammed the needle into my jaw joint anyway. I tried to protest but the nitrous slowed my reaction time and she had it to the hilt before I could react. She just kep saying "You're doing great" meanwhile my jaw was on fire and in pain! Plus then I had to deal with hours and hours of a swollen droopy drippy drooly lip which I also can't handle... which brings me to point #3, along with the prolonged soreness and stiffness mentioned above.
3: No Epinephrine. I panic with the numb feeling in my face. In fact I have actually injured my lip before by biting it trying to get the feeling back quicker. (I didn't intend to bite it, I just didnt realize I was doing it that hard). I was trying to coax the feeling back like you do when your foot falls asleep. I just can't deal with the freezing feeling. It drives me insane. For me it's like chinese water torture... And it's like I just can't leave it alone... like I feel compeleld to try and get the numbness out as quick as possible almost to the point of panic. Therefore I would prefer the shortest acting LA possible. Mepivicaine without epi is an alternative that I KNOW exists! I would actually prefer it to come out prematurely than last for hours and hours after the apt. (I am under sedation anyway and would probably be ok even without adding more as I have had plenty of work done in the past without any LA at all uner just sedation, including a root canal). Also as mentioned above, PDL injections for mandibular work would help with this also, eliminating the dippy drooly fat swollen lip and tongue for hours thing.
So, if I was your patient, would you agree to those 3 things if it meant I would agree to treatment (a few fillings mostly but I might need a root canal in one).
Thanks for your time... I am not trying to be a difficult patient, but I am just beyond fear and since dentists have betrayed my trust before, that makes it even worse. Those 3 things would go a HUGE distance toward getting me the treatment that I should ahve to be healthy. I know if they don't agree to it, I will avoid getting the work done at all costs... at the very least they have to know I did my research on alternatives!
I have had every bad experience possible happen for dental work when I was younger. As a result for years I suffered, not allowing them to use LA at all. Instead I just got Nitrous Oxide, and had them crank it up as much as possible. I could still feel everything during the procedure but since my mind was somewhere else I didn't react physically. They always HATED to do that though, they wanted to jab me full of needles and have me deal with the pain once I was out of their office (as in post op pain from the needle). Most of my issues stem from the needle though (i ahve LA injected into a vein, directly into a nerve, and had haematomas)...but I also hate the clamp (dam) as I feel like I am suffocating and worry if I start to vomit (from the extreme fear) will I aspirate, and the drill too. I would actually be happy if they would work without the clamp.
I finally agreed to LA but with some restrictions that they had to agree upon. But I have dentists twice now betray my trust... This time I am planning on bringing a typewritten letter to be placed on my file and signed by me. This way I am hoping it will be a legal binding document. I am allowed to refuse treatment after all. So my question is, as a dentist do you think that these 3 requests are unreasonable? Could you work with these, knowing that your patient is taking a huge step even getting treatment? I don't think they are unreasonable...
1: Sedation as deep as possible with anterograde amnesia effect such as IV for ALL dental work (ensuring it lasts the full appt). I don't wish to try and overcome the fear. Even if I were to overcome it, the experience is still very unpleasant and its better to just not be aware of it. I wish to just 'sleep' the appt away like it almost never happened. Problem is, I have had IV sedation wear off prematurely before, leaving me aware of the last 30 min of the appt. It was because initially, she used 2 meds in the IV, one which caused the anterograde manesia effect but she only titrated with the other one. It was horrible because I came to with the clamp still on my face and I panicked. She kept injecting more stuff into the IV but it didnt put me back into lala land. I want them to titrate with the one that causes the anterograde amnesia (or use another method that will ensure the amnesia effect lasts the full apt.) Edit: Or... another alternative I just read on here in another post is to combine oral sedation along with nitrous oxide so that there is a synergistic effect. I have had oral sedation before and it did last the apt, but I wasn't 'under' enough. Would they consider the addition of the nitrous oxide in addition to Halcion (triazolam) so that I am more deeply sedated?
2: NO Inferior Alveolar Block. I have had some pretty bad experiences with this painful injection, which include trismus and prolonged jaw soreness post op, which has always resulted in missed time from work due to calling in sick for a few days to deal with it. I will agree to Peridontal Ligament Injections as alternative. In fact, I have had to forcefully have my jaw reopened after IAB before. I had kept my jaw shut for a week due to the stiffness and soreness and then I could no longer actually open it at all anymore even if I tried. (Dont suggest that I should have gently moved it to keep this from happening, as I won't do something that hurts) They had to use tongue depressors to forcefully open my jaw over the next week or so. It was H*LL. I have had a dentist agree to PDL injections but then as soon as I was under nitrous oxide she jammed the needle into my jaw joint anyway. I tried to protest but the nitrous slowed my reaction time and she had it to the hilt before I could react. She just kep saying "You're doing great" meanwhile my jaw was on fire and in pain! Plus then I had to deal with hours and hours of a swollen droopy drippy drooly lip which I also can't handle... which brings me to point #3, along with the prolonged soreness and stiffness mentioned above.
3: No Epinephrine. I panic with the numb feeling in my face. In fact I have actually injured my lip before by biting it trying to get the feeling back quicker. (I didn't intend to bite it, I just didnt realize I was doing it that hard). I was trying to coax the feeling back like you do when your foot falls asleep. I just can't deal with the freezing feeling. It drives me insane. For me it's like chinese water torture... And it's like I just can't leave it alone... like I feel compeleld to try and get the numbness out as quick as possible almost to the point of panic. Therefore I would prefer the shortest acting LA possible. Mepivicaine without epi is an alternative that I KNOW exists! I would actually prefer it to come out prematurely than last for hours and hours after the apt. (I am under sedation anyway and would probably be ok even without adding more as I have had plenty of work done in the past without any LA at all uner just sedation, including a root canal). Also as mentioned above, PDL injections for mandibular work would help with this also, eliminating the dippy drooly fat swollen lip and tongue for hours thing.
So, if I was your patient, would you agree to those 3 things if it meant I would agree to treatment (a few fillings mostly but I might need a root canal in one).
Thanks for your time... I am not trying to be a difficult patient, but I am just beyond fear and since dentists have betrayed my trust before, that makes it even worse. Those 3 things would go a HUGE distance toward getting me the treatment that I should ahve to be healthy. I know if they don't agree to it, I will avoid getting the work done at all costs... at the very least they have to know I did my research on alternatives!
Last edited:

