• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Denture advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter guineacat
  • Start date Start date
guineacat

guineacat

Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2006
Messages
71
I haven't been on here for years I overcame my fears and now have dentures. Sadly it's a bit of a nightmare they never fit well no matter how many times they try I can't eat with the lower ones in and wearing them for longer than a few hours causes blisters on my gums. My dentist saids it's my jaw and high roof to my mouth that means dentures will never fit. I'm on benefits so can't afford implants or private dentures. I have to say it's so depressing I can't eat out so socialising is out. Any suggestions??
 
Hi, I'm terribly sorry to hear that despite overcoming your fears you're still in a less than ideal situation, its unfortunate your dentist (NHS?) has pretty much told you that you can't get a good fit. I don't have any advice about wearing dentures but I'm sure someone will come along soon who does but have you considered swapping dentists or trying a second opinion? Even without paying private you shouldn't be left with ill fitting work, it wouldn't be acceptable if it were any other type of prosthetic and you deserve to be pain free using them.
As for socialising there's plenty to do without eating out, maybe suggest to your friends to try a hobby class or a book club etc or something like a walking group?
Anyway best of luck getting some help.
 
How disheartening for you. I would definitely see about a second opinion. Can you do that?
 
So sorry to hear about the ongoing difficulties you’ve been having :( - that must be incredibly frustrating.

Some people on here have had more success with going directly to dental technicians for dentures, after not having had much luck with NHS dentures. I’m not saying that this will work for you, but it might be worth visiting a few clinical dental technicians and getting their input and opinions.

In the UK, clinical dental technicians can accept you directly for provision or maintenance of full dentures if you have no teeth and no implants (oherwise they must work to a dentist’s prescription).

Might be worth a try?
 
Not very helpfull for a dentist to say that,yes its depressing I would love to eat out too (or just eat in general) hope you find someone that can help you.
 
@guineacat how you doing? I've been considering finding a new dentist today and realised I'm scared of any dentist saying 'we can't help you'. I'm sure that belief of mine is wrong and if you've been told that by your dentist, it must be really hard for you to approach another one, but I hope you do. All dentists must be slightly different in their skill and attitude, so I have hope all people can be helped and your quality of life matters. If the worst case is tht you can't improve the dentures right now, then you will have made sure that is true.
 
Back
Top