• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentures journey (in process, want to share)

E

Emmlet2020

Hi all, so a few months ago my world was torn apart when my dentist told me I would have to have complete tooth removal and full dentures.
I'm only 42 but have always suffered with my teeth, and visiting the dentist.
I genuinely don't remember a time when my teeth/gums didn't hurt, bleed, taste bad, plus a load of other symptoms.
Anyway, frantic I searched the Internet for some help, advice, support, anything to help this information sink in. Eventually I found this forum and posted my fears. I got some lovely comments and advice but nothing about the process I am to expect.
My dentist recommended full tooth extraction then waiting for 4/5 weeks minimum before my temporary dentures are fitted, this is to ensure my gums are well on the way to healing before getting my new teeth.
I decided very quickly I couldn't possibly spend any time with no teeth, just looking at my gummy mouth. So between us we agreed that the way forward was to have 3 lots of extractions, one side, then the other, then wait a few weeks and take my front ones out last and fit my new dentures at the same time. This is to allow most of the gums time to heal before getting my dentures.
Today I have had my left side removed, 6 in total (I had a few removed previously, due to pain). In 3 days time I get the other side removed.
The reason for my post is this... Quite simply I want to share my journey with anyone that may be going through the same or a similar thing as me.
I'm not going to lie, having the extractions today was utterly horrible, odd sensations while they were being taken out and general feel of misery. However, and I must stress this, it was no where near as bad as I had worked myself up to believe it would be.
A few hrs later and I have mild discomfort, mouth feels odd but I managed to eat something for tea. And truthfully, having my teeth actually hurt more than not having them lol.
It may be a different story in a few days when I only have a handful of teeth left at the front but my journey has begun and I'm totally ready for whatever is to come. If my post can help even one person then sharing my story is totally worth it. As they say, no pain no again lol. Thanks for reading and hope to update in a few days.

Thank you for sharing your dental journey, Im on one too, and reading your post helped me, We are all here to support each other. Im proud of you !!
I have serious PTSD from a childhood dental experience, at 58 I finally decided to start this journey. Ive had some teeth extracted and hate myself for alowing things to get this bad. Im going for root planning & scaling next, I was told I may need to have that done twice, we hope this may help tighten up the gums and save some teeth. I used all that the Dental insurance allows for the year, I also used a chunk of my savings, after the next procedure any more dental work will have to wait until the new year. I have a partial denture now that im afraid to wear because I dont want it to damage my other teeth. I hate how I look and cry all the time. I dont know what my next step is going to be after root plannings & scalings but im hoping at some point I can be a candidate for a permanent bridge or implants. Its going to be a long journey but that's ok...

Thank you again for sharing. Please keep us updated on your progress

XxOo

Thank you so much for your lovely reply. I'm so glad it has been helpful to you.
I have now had all teeth removed except a few at the front for cosmetic reasons and waiting for gums to heal before the others come out and dentures go in. It's been a tough ride, but I feel its gone as smoothly as it possibly can.
I have my 1st wax try on this week so feeling a bit anxious about that but I will cope and deal with it , as you do lol. I hope you are well? Xx

You have been an inspiration, I thank you again for sharing. Im trying to hang in there and keep my anxiety in check.
I call me periodontist tmrrw to make the root planning & scaling appt. I dont know where this journey is going to take me but I hope I can smile at the end.
Peace & love to you!

Good luck for tomo hun, you will be fine.
Just try to look at the end picture and work your way towards it.
For me, I feel as though I'm going through a big dark tunnel with lots of obstacles to climb over. But I can see the light at the end and am striving to get there.
It's not an easy or nice journey to take but I have had problems with my teeth/gums for as long as I can remember and forget smiling lol.
Fingers crossed we will both end up happy and confident people with beautiful smiles ?. All the best lovely, let me know how you get on xx

Thank you for your encouraging words. I havent made the appt yet, waiting to hear back from the periodontist, I will follow up again tomorrow. Its hard for me to see the big picture, I cant afford any more procedures until 2022. I live in the U.S, seems like those that are employed and work hard have shit insurance! It only covers $2000 per year, I added in my savings and took a chunk out of my retirement fund. I will go for the scraping and root planning soon.. im terrified.

So update on my journey.
Today I went for my wax try on (was feeling nervous, anxious and very sceptical of what was to come)
My dentist was amazing and explained that they were just wax and mostly for him to see how the fit and measurements were , that they would not be comfortable and not how the finished dentures would be.
Anyway, when they were fitted , yes they felt uncomfortable and started my gag reflex , however after some nose breathing and swallowing the gagging went away.
They were uncomfortable but not horrible (like I expected) when he showed me the mirror...my god u nearly cried.
Seeing myself with actual teeth , and they looked so real. It was bloody amazing. I wanted to take them home lol.
He did a few adjustments and tweaks then tried them again. Much more comfy and I even spoke with them in . Another quick check in the mirror just to remind myself how amazing they looked.
He has bought my next app forward by 2 weeks as my gums have healed amazingly well. So 2 weeks time, I get new gnashers ...horray lol. Just so you all know, there is hope at the end of that tunnel. Yes I have more hard times to come but I will do it with a smile. Will update again in 2 weeks. Keep strong all xxxx

Good for you!!! Im so happy for you. I know this hasnt been easy but you did it!!!
Im still waiting to hear back from my periodontist to make the appt. Im looking forward to posting a positive experience.

Thank you all for your support.

Hey guys, here's my next update!
So today I went and had the last few teeth removed and full top and bottom dentures in.
I won't lie, this was by far the worst extractions I have had, the front teeth were awful and tho I didn't feel much pain I did feel very uncomfortable and oddly my nose was hurting. I even sneezed at the dentist lol.
The bleeding was constant and it took a lot to get it under control enough to fit my new teeth.
Eventually they were in.
I had a rush of emotions (mostly I wanted to cry and go home to hide) I couldn't close my lips around new teeth and they looked awful.
Dentist said the bite was slightly out and he can't fix it as theres so much blood.
So I'm going back in 2 days time to correct it.
Anyway, I got home ready to cry my eyes out , looked in mirror and it looked a little better, then a bit better. It was the anesthetic that stopped my lips from meeting, not my teeth lol.
Anyway, I'm about 6 or so hrs after that now and they actually look pretty good. Yes the bite is out and I just had to remove them to clean and apply fixodent (that was not a nice thing to see in the mirror at all , be prepared!! )
Still a lot of blood but the teeth look fab. Nit tried eating yet but I'm sure I will when I get hungry enough.
Anyway, they're in, I didn't die and on the whole I'm pretty pleased. Just got to take it day by day now and see how it goes. Xx

Yessss! Im glad you are happy with the results!! Thank you for sharing your journey.

Right now I have a partial for the 4 front bottom, I ike it alot! At first I hated how I looked without them on, in time I gradually accepted my situation and started wearing the partial more & more. I am now waiting to hear back about the deep cleaning & scaling appointment. Im very nervous about that, not sure what to expect afterwards. Im afraid that I wont be able to wear my partial because the teeth it hooks on to may be loose from the procedure, worried more teeth will need to be pulled. My mind is full of what ifs.
Worry worry

I am proud of each one of us for conquering our fears or facing them and helping each other to overcome.

I will share the next phase of my journey

Day by day....