• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

DESPERATE for advice - from experienced patients or medical experts...current meds and oral sedation

R

redpaperclip

Junior member
Joined
Jul 1, 2011
Messages
2
DESPERATE for advice - from experienced patients or medical experts...current meds and oral sedation

OK...like many, found myself here due to the high anxiety and massive dental fears so many of us have. I however, am NOT afraid of "medical professionals", which I think some that suffer have. I go to my doctor once a month...without fail. And that's on a good month, more often if things are in an uproar in my body. I MUST go once a month, because I take powerful pain meds, and they are only prescribed on a monthly basis.

So, therein lies my problem / question.

I take 240mg of Kadian (a form of morphine) and 6 x 10/325 Percocet daily...along with 400mg of Provigil.

My dentist was SHOCKED when he saw that on my profile...couldn't believe the amount of medication I take. No, it's not what some take...but it is a lot!

He laughed when I asked him if he would give me pain meds for my extensive work...said "UUMMM...NO! Because it would be like giving you candy for what I can prescribe!" Yes, Vicoden isn't going to be much help...but the meds I take keep me at a baseline, and anything extra, I need pain control. I am seeing my pain doc this morning.

OK...so here is my issue! I thought this dentist did IV sedation, which I have had in the past. I not only have MASSIVE PHOBIA, but I have a hard time sitting still because of my pain issues, which causes issues for the dentist, and just prolongs the work. Plus, I am very hard to get numb.

I am having full denture on top and a partial on the bottom - having 10 teeth pulled on Tuesday. Having work done under ORAL SEDATION. I am incredibly comfortable with the dentist and office staff and trust them completely. Told me that they will NOT start work unless they are very sure I am in the proper place mentally.

But I am SO CONCERNED that the Halcion/Ativan won't work...because of the medications I take daily - and have for over 14 years! I mean, before I started taking Oxycontin (no longer take because of the change in that!) I took Vicoden and Valium daily, just to have a very limited quality of life. It didn't "knock me out" - it allowed me to function!!!

So is there ANYONE out there experienced with this particular conundrum I find myself in? Desperate for need of work, but terrified of having it and the added issue of my pre-existing conditions.

Will I be able to get sufficiently "knocked out" to get the work I need done, with the minimal amount of anxiety? Of course, I don't mean between now and Tuesday...but for the actual work. I know that the next few days will be, let's just say, not easy! HA!

Thanks in advance...and of course, yes, as I said, I am going to speak with my pain doc this morning. I am looking for ACTUAL EXPERIENCE and/or further expert opinions!
 
Re: DESPERATE for advice - from experienced patients or medical experts...current meds and oral seda

I wanted to add...my dentist is a Prosthodontist. Not sure what exactly that means (or why that matters, more like, since I know it means "expert in dental implants") but the office manager - in her attempt to help alleviate my fears - told me that it does. When I was talking about my extensive extractions (10 in total...with some extenuating circumstances), she said that "with him being a Prosthodontist, the equipment used is less invasive" or something like that. I will admit, that may not be EXACTLY how she worded it, because I have heard/read so much stuff lately.

I just wanted to share that piece of information, in case it matters. Or if someone wants to further educate me on why it matters? To help with my massive fear, of course [smiley=scared.gif]
 
DESPERATE for advice - from experienced patients or medical experts...current meds and oral sedation

OK...like many, found myself here due to the high anxiety and massive dental fears so many of us have. I however, am NOT afraid of "medical professionals", which I think some that suffer have. I go to my doctor once a month...without fail. And that's on a good month, more often if things are in an uproar in my body. I MUST go once a month, because I take powerful pain meds, and they are only prescribed on a monthly basis.

So, therein lies my problem / question.

I take 240mg of Kadian (a form of morphine) and 6 x 10/325 Percocet daily...along with 400mg of Provigil.

My dentist was SHOCKED when he saw that on my profile...couldn't believe the amount of medication I take. No, it's not what some take...but it is a lot!

He laughed when I asked him if he would give me pain meds for my extensive work...said "UUMMM...NO! Because it would be like giving you candy for what I can prescribe!" Yes, Vicoden isn't going to be much help...but the meds I take keep me at a baseline, and anything extra, I need pain control. I am seeing my pain doc this morning.

OK...so here is my issue! I thought this dentist did IV sedation, which I have had in the past. I not only have MASSIVE PHOBIA, but I have a hard time sitting still because of my pain issues, which causes issues for the dentist, and just prolongs the work. Plus, I am very hard to get numb.

I am having full denture on top and a partial on the bottom - having 10 teeth pulled on Tuesday. Having work done under ORAL SEDATION. I am incredibly comfortable with the dentist and office staff and trust them completely. Told me that they will NOT start work unless they are very sure I am in the proper place mentally.

But I am SO CONCERNED that the Halcion/Ativan won't work...because of the medications I take daily - and have for over 14 years! I mean, before I started taking Oxycontin (no longer take because of the change in that!) I took Vicoden and Valium daily, just to have a very limited quality of life. It didn't "knock me out" - it allowed me to function!!!

So is there ANYONE out there experienced with this particular conundrum I find myself in? Desperate for need of work, but terrified of having it and the added issue of my pre-existing conditions.

Will I be able to get sufficiently "knocked out" to get the work I need done, with the minimal amount of anxiety? Of course, I don't mean between now and Tuesday...but for the actual work. I know that the next few days will be, let's just say, not easy! HA!

Thanks in advance...and of course, yes, as I said, I am going to speak with my pain doc this morning. I am looking for ACTUAL EXPERIENCE and/or further expert opinions!
@redpaperclip where are the answers to your questions? I am in the same situation?!!!
 

Similar threads

Back
Top